• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

tail and turn signal lights

truck90278

trying to verify (on a '65) which of the filaments are for the tailights, turn signals and stop light

Is the following correct:

tail light on the lower brightness filament and the turn and stop light on the brighter filament?

when looking at the bulb and the schematics, it appears the filament which is the farthest out from the base of the bulb (and has the smallest diameter wire for the filament and is also the lowest brightness) is for the taillights. the filament closest to the bulb base is the brightest.

Also note that we're installing a FR tilt column and all harnesses are new. We also are having some problems with the pig tails which mount to the back of the tail light housing. If you move them slightly, the tail lights may go off completely or actually change between the filaments in the bulb. These components are new also (repros or course)

thanks

To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware that one filament was brighter than the other. I've always used the wire colors and pigtail design to determine what signal was what.

So...you notice that rotation of the pigtail stops the turn signal lights too, eh? I have a completely stock electrical system, and mine does that as well. I believe it is a poorly engineered repro pigtail or taillight bucket. I've done just about everything I could think of (short of soldering) to eliminate that intermittent disconnection of signals without success.

Come on now Randy, one has to be brighter to provide a difference in brightness for turn/brake vs tail lights. lol, gotta rattle your cage......

If one plug/pigtail can be moved and change the filament that is being powered, then the socket could be bad, even being new. You could have wires crossing if the insulation is bad or poor connections are in that area. I have seen the base inside the socket be out of line and not stay in place also.

As to which filament is which inside the bulb, I normally apply power to each contact to ensure the correct contact is being used.

No, the signal doesn't switch from one filament to the other. By rotating the connector on he taillight bucket, the turn signal flashing signal disappears, as does the brake lights. Rotate it a bit more, and it comes back. Just a bad connection at the outer connector (coaxial connector system). Running lights always seem to work just fine.

"truck90278" said:
We also are having some problems with the pig tails which mount to the back of the tail light housing. If you move them slightly, the tail lights may go off completely or actually change between the filaments in the bulb. These components are new also (repros or course)

thanks

He says in the quote that it changes between filaments. What am I missing here..... Not during turn signal action, but talking about the tail light switching to the turn/brake filament.

I know the signal does not switch....that is the job of the flasher to stop/start the power to one filament.......

Sorry...I missed that part of the OP's post. I'd look closely at the interior of the light bucket, focusing upon the tab for the middle bulb...often times they get "mushed" and contact the other tab and all sorts of weird stuff happens.

Thanks for the info. Although the housings are new along with everything else, certainly can have a defective item. I'll probably modify the housing to eliminate the problem. Gradually getting the wiring sorted out. Adding the tilt Flaming River column doesn't make it any easier -- just takes time

"Midlife" said:
By rotating the connector on he taillight bucket, the turn signal flashing signal disappears, as does the brake lights.

mine did the same thing, so i just, ever so slightly, squeezed the socket in the pigtail connectors with some pliers. made a tighter fit, and no more disappearing tail lights...

Back