• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TARAfied's 93 Fox Vert

"tarafied1" said:
I agree but it isn't high on my priority list. If my son contributes (since it's going to be his car) then we might go that route. I can't detract too much funds from the drag car!
I really just wanted to fix the transmission and with some arm twisting it has evolved. It's funny my 16 year old has been "studying" Mustangs so he could talk me into it. That alone convinced me but I asked him a lot of questions to make him keep looking into it. He is not really the mechanical type so I will end up doing the work or most of it but he will have an appreciation for the work involved. Maybe it will motivate him for the other upgrades too

I agree. Time and energy will give him a greater respect for the car. I hope to do the same :thu Maybe a Mustang or Firebird :hide

Bill

there were a few 5.0 cars @ pull-a-part that you could get some of the efi stuff from when we picked up joey's 8.8 explorer rear a few weeks ago. I picked up a distributor for the explorer efi setup I have on the shelf for a few bux there last summer. need to make a list of the rest of the parts & we can have an "efi" day out there...

there were also a few of the 94-04 mustangs there that you might get a good rear out of. not sure what the width difference is on those.

Make him the mechanical type! My son didn't have much experience when we dove into his fastback. He learned to enjoy the process, appreciate the design and build and now is getting ready to go to college to become a mechanical engineer. So anything is possible! We just added a 91 GT 5.0 to his stable as a college commute car. He is now learning the fox platform.

Thats good news Steve. The local yards to me do not have any Foxbodys.

And i have been working with my son but its painful. I dont know how my dad put up with me!
The big difference is i wanted to know everything. My son is casually interested but just awkward with tools and "thinking" of solutions to road blocks. I do enjoy trying to teach him but it feels forced rather than pulled if that makes sence?

"tarafied1" said:
Thats good news Steve. The local yards to me do not have any Foxbodys.

And i have been working with my son but its painful. I dont know how my dad put up with me!
The big difference is i wanted to know everything. My son is casually interested but just awkward with tools and "thinking" of solutions to road blocks. I do enjoy trying to teach him but it feels forced rather than pulled if that makes sence?

I fully understand your comments. It takes me three times as long to complete a project when my son is working with me. He was very much like the way you describe your son, but as he spent time with the car and the tools, he adapted. He really came around when we got to the point of putting the fastback on the road for the first time. Some kids are just not interested, and if that is the case, don't give them a car that you want to constantly improve...just give them a Honda Civic and forget about it. Basic transportation is all a kid like that really needs! Spend the time, money and effort on one of your projects!

he's interested and I will take the time to teach him. I'm just comparing to myself I guess. By the time I was 15 I had learned to rebuild engines, carbs, etc. I bought my own car when I was 15. My dad helped me a lot but I was much more motivated I guess. My son told me tonight he was going to get a summer job to get funds for the project so that's a good sign. Promising to hear your son overcame the awkwardness. I just need to be patient! he will learn at his own pace...

First step, research the conversion and see what parts I need and how much it's going to cost.
I have been scouring the forums and interweb to see what's involved.
If we keep the EFI, here is what I have found:
Converting a 93 LX 2.3 / automatic to a V8. I do not have to change the dash harness. I will have to change the computer harness, engine harness and headlight harness from a 93 5.0 car. You have to change the headlight harness because the 5.0 alternator is on the other side of the car on a V8 and the 2.3 harness is too short. Also, sometime in 91 Ford eliminated a connector by combining the two large grey/black connectors into a single red connector on the computer harness. I can use all the accessories off of the current 5.0 that is in the 79. I will need to get the right year headlight harness as they did change the connectors where it connects to the chassis harness.

I will also have to change the fuel lines that go from the tank to the passenger side frame rail next to the motor. If I want dual exhaust all the way out the back of the car, I will also need the rear brake line that goes from the firewall in the engine compartment back to the rear axle. The 2.3 rear brake line obstructs the passenger side exhaust pipe route, but is not a problem if I use turn down tips with no tail pipes.

I want the cruise control to work, so I need to swap out the 2.3 unit for the 5.0 one inside the driver

I have the factory shorty headers but that's it. I need a double hump crossmember, I can get an off-road H pipe and factory hangers from Late Model Restoration for $169.99, and Flowmasters with the turn down tips for $259.99 and the crossmember from Summit for $65 so about $500 for the exhaust system.

Since I don't have any of the EFI stuff, I'm thinking I will just go with a carb at first. If my son wants EFI, he can collect the parts over time. I can get the Lokar AOD TV adaptor rom Summit for about $80
I have the 85 GT distributor and Duraspark II box, so I have the ignition covered. I have a 600 Holley and 4 barrel intake. I can't use the 79 gas tank because the fuel sender for the gas gauge won't work. I guess they changed for the EFI sender. Summit sells a fuel pick-up that converts the EFI tank for about $100. I can get an electric fuel pump. Or I can use the EFI pump and adapters to convert the EFI lines to AN fittings and use a by-pass regulator. Either way I will need about $200 for the fuel system and AOD adapter.
I don't know what the headlight harness will cost but between exhaust, trans and fuel I will spend about $700 and that is not updating the brakes or 7.5 rear.

Power-steering pumps on four-cylinders feature a unique switch that shuts off the air conditioning to conserve horsepower for power emergencies. Although the PS pump for the V-8 have different mounts, the hose itself from the four-cylinder can stay in the engine bay. That's because removing it requires loosening the rack-and-pinion to unbolt the hose. Since the hoses are basically the same, I can simply remove the switch and block the hole with pipe plug.

The motor is a former EFI roller cam engine and has the correct oil pan and motor mounts for a Fox body. I don't know what year it is however. The shifter in the 93 should work with the AOD and the driveshaft currently in the 79 should work. The 2.3 auto driveshaft I've read is no good for conversions. Throttle cable on the 79 look it will work. The speedometer cable might work, I don't know if it will hook to the 93 speedometer. I'm not sure what starter is on the 79 either. Need to crawl under it and see what I got, maybe if I'm lucky they put in a double hump crossmember!

this would be cool
946274_10151857730464186_1492591631_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig I don't go through the fox body threads very often so I'm just catching up on your conversion. It's too bad you don't live any closer. Man could I hook you up! I still have the '91 sitting in the yard, though not much longer. It has an 8.8 (with traction loc!). I also have the V8 cross member, driveshaft, speedo cable (which I think is good), all the front suspension and probably more you need. I salvaged the tranny, wiring harnesses, fuel lines and fuel pump for my '66. The rest is still there! The down side is the cost of shipping would be cost prohibitive. Now if you get back around the Charleston area anytime soon, bring your want list!!

"Ponyman66" said:
Craig I don't go through the fox body threads very often so I'm just catching up on your conversion. It's too bad you don't live any closer. Man could I hook you up! I still have the '91 sitting in the yard, though not much longer. It has an 8.8 (with traction loc!). I also have the V8 cross member, driveshaft, speedo cable (which I think is good), all the front suspension and probably more you need. I salvaged the tranny, wiring harnesses, fuel lines and fuel pump for my '66. The rest is still there! The down side is the cost of shipping would be cost prohibitive. Now if you get back around the Charleston area anytime soon, bring your want list!!
what would you want for the rest of the car? Might be worth a road trip... shoot me a PM

Back