• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The best waffles

I am usually in charge of breakfast on the weekends. These waffles are the family favorite. My mom has started showing up of Sunday mornings for them. This isn't my recipe (it's from America's Test Kitchen) but I wish I could claim it as my own.

The batter is prepared the night before you want to make the waffles so the yeast has time to rise.

1) melt 1 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted (sweet) butter in 1 3/4 cup milk, let cool until warm
2) whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 active dry yeast (not bread machine yeast) in a large mixing bowl
3) add the butter/milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth
4) whisk together 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla, then whisk into the batter
5) cover mixing bowl and place in fridge overnight
6) bake waffles in waffle iron

These waffles are much more flavorful (from the yeast) than those made from a mix, which use baking powder.

Make sure the butter and milk mixture is more than lukewarm so the yeast will grow, but not hot enough to kill the yeast.

The first pic is of the batter after it has risen overnight.

The best waffles?

There can only be one waffles.

bbc_waffles.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
Can you use fake butter?

I think so. The main purpose of the butter (besides the flavor) is to give the batter enough oil to fry the outer surface of the waffles. Since margarine has a different oil/water ratio than butter does, you may need to change the amount you add. Not enough oil in the batter should give more of a soft pancake texture to the cooked waffles.

"Waffles" said:
There can only be one waffles.
bbc_waffles.jpg

LOL - I am sure you are the best Waffles.

"cmayna" said:
So what time is breakfast this coming weekend?

Not until 10:00. I need my beauty (i.e. recovery) rest :)

Back