• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The coolest thing happened...

d_ford

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a woman in Florida asking for my help in locating her fathers old car. I was sceptical as you can imagine but I emailed her back and she told me her story...her father had purchased a new 67 S code fastback (actually her grandfather bought it for him) before he enlisted in the military. He met and married her mother before he was deployed and she was born after he left. He was killed in action in Vietnam in 1971 and she was told either the bank repossessed the fastback or it was sold.

Either way, she has been trying to find her dads old fastback for years with no luck. She realized that without a VIN it was going to be impossible. Recently she was going through some of the old letters from her dad to her mom and in one of them was a registration for the 68/69 year with the car's VIN on it. She did some detective work and found that the last time that VIN had changed hands was in 2004 in the county in Ohio where I live.

She found my email address on a mustang site here in Ohio and contacted me asking for help. She included a scanned copy of the registration with the VIN and a picture of the car with her parents from probably 1968 or so.

When I saw the photo and the VIN number I thought I might know the car. A good friend of mine has a 67 fastback that he has slowly been restoring/modifying for a few years that was originally vintage burgandy like the car in the photo and is also a 390 car originally. I checked his VIN and it matched! Of all the needles in all the haystacks in the world she found me and I knew the car. Wow.

She is planning a trip from Florida to Ohio this fall so she can see and touch the car that meant so much to her dad. I can't wait to see her face when she does.

That is super cool !

And super nice of you to help her out. Of all the people who have these old cars, she picked the best of them. Good on you !

Thanks. That was nice of you to say. I just did what I hope someone would do for me if the situation were reversed.
She kinda hinted that she would like to buy the car but didn't come right out and say so. I'm sure my buddy would be open to selling if the price was right and I know her story really touched him, they've talked on the phone quite a bit since I put them together.
Wouldn't it be great if she was able to take her dads car home with her?

Pete, she said she's in Orlando.
I will update after she visits. She's supposed to come here sometime in october. She wants to schedule it so I'm off work and I can be there too.

Wow! Doug that is just amazing how that worked out. It would be nice if she could go home with the car. You did a Great thing helping her out. God works in amazing ways!
Make sure you tell her about StangFix if you haven't already, we'll have a new member.
You also made a new best friend, for life.

Wow. That's some luck. :thu

The internet has certainly made finding an old car easier. I searched for info on my Dad's Corvette for years and happened to stumble on a forum talking about it a few years ago and was able to finally to find out what happened to it. Unfortunately it was burned up in a fire so I will never get the chance to see it.

Keep us posted.

Sandi made the trip to see the car today. It went very well. I think it really meant a lot to her. No mention was made of her buying the car but she is taking home a memento, the original rear valence panel that was replaced during the build. She plans to display it on her wall with a personalized plate in rememberance of her father. I snapped a few pics.
Left to right...me, Sandi, and the current Owner Chuck Shields.

SandiBallancemustangvisit023.jpg

SandiBallancemustangvisit012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back