• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The Nanny State strikes again

Wish my work had that. All I can smell at work is skunk weed, body funk, and depression. I fucking hate working at a distribution center.

Actually the largest company in the US that used to make those old plain and sensible plastic containers got sued completely out of business by the lawyers for people who did stupid stuff involving gas cans and (gasp) injured themselves. The company was Blitz USA. Google and you will be inundated with info from both sides of that story.
Besides newly required safety regulations the offshore folks (mostly) now supplying us with fuel containers are well aware of that legal debacle and are pretty serious about covering THEIR butts. All of which adds up to our modern and ridiculous gas jugs. I found a vintage style plastic 5 gallon jug with intact spout for three dollars at a yard sale and was about giddy. Wife thought I lost my mind.

Reading this thread made me think of Blitz. I still have a few of their jugs at the farm.

http://www.ibtimes.com/blitz-usa-shuts-down-lawsuit-abuse-hammers-hometown-734478

Bored at an airport I did a bit of Googling about the Blitz USA situation. Blitz was located in a very small OK town of some 13k people. More than 116 worked for Blitz. They all lost their jobs. Some permanently others (at most half) regained employment when the plant was snatched up by a Canadian company also in the fuel can business some time later. The new company said no where else in the world had anyone in the industry suffered the battles that did Blitz. Only in the US. Our wonderfully litigious society.
The lawsuits that brought the decimation of this small town were all based around the premise of injury when some idiot used the fuel can to pour gas on an existing fire. No BS. A bunch of would be (and maybe even successful) Darwin Award candidates succeeding in crushing some 116+ hard working souls livelihood and left the rest of America with these new crappy cans. Well, to be fair, one group did benefit from all this. Yep. The lawyers behind the suits. :mad: *apologies to those honest, ethical ambulance chasers among us

Back