• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

+3 but make the Falcon the drag car with the MII suspension... You could still use it as a nice street cruiser too.

Looking forward to see how you guys go about doing the fastback conversion too...

"stangg" said:
+3 but make the Falcon the drag car with the MII suspension... You could still use it as a nice street cruiser too.

Looking forward to see how you guys go about doing the fastback conversion too...
The Falcon will be Drag only I think. My plan is not to paint it or do any bodywork. I want to get a Speedway Motors Straight axle kit and just fab up the spring mounts. Cut out the shock towers and weld some spring perches on top of my Currie 9" I traded BobV for. Then stick my 5.0 5 speed in it and go to the track and play.
The 65 needs new shock towers so it would make sense to put the MII on it. Or I could sell off everything individually I guess. The Falcon is so solid it would not need anything to become a drag car but maybe convert to disc brakes on the front. Good drum brake rebuild would even be okay since it wouldn't be a track car and only really have to stop hard once and then cool down.
Anyway, now that the grandbaby is living with us I have lots more time to think and less to actually work!

the 67/68 FB conversion will be fun. BUT, we have to finish the Ranchero and the 65 FB first. The Ranchero is in paint jail right now so we are putting the 65 FB together. It was basically a roof so we are using my 65 coupe as reference. We screwed the FB together and were trying to "guess" at a lot of things. With the coupe in the same garage, we can use it to make little jigs and fixtures and measure from. The FB is coming together much better now. Once it becomes a roller we can start taking the coupe apart to convert it to MII. The 67/68 deal will be the last one (unless one or the other of us drags home something else in the meantime!).

well my buddy surprised me. He decided he wanted to get started on the roof swap after all. We dragged the 67 and the 68 over to the shop I did my car with. He's gonna put it on the frame rack and pull the rear rails to try and straighten that out. Then weld the car to the rack so we can cut the roof off. Then we will cut up the FB. Here they are both in the shop. The owner has become a good friend and is going to let us do a lot of the work in his shop.
391651_464193360298869_2101540436_n.jpg

"stangg" said:
My bodyshop buddy has started on the FB conversion. The 67 was put on the rack and rear frame rails straightened. Then it was braced up and they began to cut it apart.
32400_473020199416185_1277772178_n.jpg

534665_473020566082815_1565480792_n.jpg

390081_473020646082807_993593509_n.jpg

387854_473020886082783_142680621_n.jpg

604000_473020986082773_908762722_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The roof and rear quarters were kinda messed up. The roof had pits and holes from being a vinyl top car, the quarters were tweaked from being rear ended. The 68 FB is really really really rusty, And it has a lot of rust. Basically it will donate the inner structure of the roof and maybe the roof skin. New Full FB quarters are going on it. The front (engine compartment, cowl, firewall, etc.) are in great shape. The floors and rocker panels are as well. I also had the dash from the POS soda blasted and powder coated so it will have a good dash put back in. What is left that you see in the last two pics is in really good condition. It should make a neet car!

Didn't all this started out as a low budget, donate the parts and piece it together project?

"Horseplay" said:
Didn't all this started out as a low budget, donate the parts and piece it together project?
yes, that WAS the plan! now it is a joint effort with my friend Ray and he is funding this work.

the Falcon will be the "low" budget effort now. and the 65 coupe, well, I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Too many irons in the fire!

"stangg" said:
+3 but make the Falcon the drag car with the MII suspension...

I have to disagree; stay the course with the straight axle for the gasser/drag race. Much simpler and quicker, especially for what you are wanting to do. Save that MII for something else.

That falcon is SCREAMING for a straight axle, especially if you are going to leave it semi-rough looking. It will look killer. I would like to see you do an altered with it though.... but that's just me. And a lot more indepth...

"70_Fastback" said:
I have to disagree; stay the course with the straight axle for the gasser/drag race. Much simpler and quicker, especially for what you are wanting to do. Save that MII for something else.

That falcon is SCREAMING for a straight axle, especially if you are going to leave it semi-rough looking. It will look killer. I would like to see you do an altered with it though.... but that's just me. And a lot more indepth...
well I can deliver it if your not too busy....
It would look killer as an Altered wheelbase AFX gasser

a few more pics of the conversion,
the 68 is really rusty, did I mention that?
started putting in the sub-frame connectors too

Back