• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The T56 conversion into a 70 Mach 1

"RyanG85" said:
Interesting! Keep this up to date as I will be pulling my trans again soon after final mock up. Would like to eliminate all possible problems before final assembly.

Will do! What is tricky is the grease was not visible when I pulled it out of the box, as can see from my original picture straight out of the box

231_24_05_10_5_00_12_1.JPG

Only after a little bit of use did the grease appear. :po Soooo, unless you've ran your trans through the gears you probably won't find any grease until then....which is likely too late since everything is installed. For all I know my bearing may be a fluke and you won't have problems. Who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I heard back and McLeod wants me to send them the assembly for failure analysis. They claim this is the first failure they've had with the new revised bearing. Leave it to me to get the dud
231_27_07_10_6_21_06_1.gif

and in the mean time????? Are they going to send you one to replace it or do you sit and wait for shipping/testing/shipping....etc etc....

I'm feeling your pain! That sucks!

I'm waiting unfortunately. They are either going to replace the bearing or rebuild it and send it back to me depending on what they determined went wrong. On one hand I hope it is a fluke, but then again I'd hate for them to just ship me a new bearing today without seeing what went wrong. I don't want to install another one only for it to fail too.

If you get to the point where you are ready to throw in the towel on the hydraulic setup, I can tell you that the Ron Morris cable setup in my 67 is working well so far.
This being after a good bit of track time on the road course, drag strip, and street.
Hope you get it worked out soon.

Thanks Joe. If this doesn't work I'll try the external slave thing, since I already have the M/C and everything. If it blows up then I'm going back to automatic
231_27_07_10_6_11_41_3.gif

RMP does not offer a cable setup for a 69-70 anyway. I inquired about it and it does not seem like they have plans to do so either.

Here is an update that I received from Bruce at Moderndriveline:

I just got off the phone with the tech the did the repair. He replaced the inner/back housing and replaced the o-rings with a different model. They are also polishing the piston to make is smoother. The bearing was replaced as well.

It sounds to me like it was not something I did but the bearing itself failed. I'm expecting shipment of the bearing today and I'll be putting everything back together for a 2nd time this weekend. Cross your friggin fingers! :scar

Well I got the bearing in on Friday and spent part of the weekend getting everything back together. I drove it around town, trying not to venture too far from home. I'm a bit gunshy since the first one failed so quickly. I'm afraid of going too far away and having it blow up again :rp

The only thing I have left to finish this install is to fabricate an engine crossmember. With the engine lowered and relocated, it's gonna have to be a custom piece.

Back