• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The "TWINS' are mounted!

A

Anonymous

Today I finished up mounting the twin turbos. More than likely I have over 20 hours in them. Is it worth it? Who knows. So, here are some photos. Please excuse my garbage can that is holding the wheel up, but I needed to know where I stand on the clearence. I still need to complete the welding and paint, or ceramic coat, buts thats the easy part. I'm done for the day..........................

007.jpg

004.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! You are an artist. I wish I had half your fab skills. Keep us posted on the progress. I am especially interested in how the Edelbrock EFI kit works for you.

Also put the engine together Friday with the help of a friend. Compression is about 8 to 1 with the dished pistons. What plug are you using? I think I need to drop one heat range from the standard plugs.

I am using Autolite 3924. One degree cooler than AFR reccommeds for non forced induction engines.

Looks GREAT Mike. Are you going to install some SBF connectors before she heads off to paint? It looks like it'll be a lot easier to do it now, rather than later....

SBF connectors? I'm lost. Are they like for the exhaust? I trying to make complete assemblies that bolt on and off. The turbos and tubing will unbolt in seconds. I have some stainless steel flex couplers and plan to install them at the end of the headers with some type of flange that will unbolt. Ideas? If you guys see any potential problems or something that needs to be done different, let me know. The more the better. On the plugs, I'm going one heat range cooler, their NGK 6's, but its the first time I've used this brand of plug.

SBF connectors? I'm lost.

I'm sorry, I should have typed it out to avoid confusion.

Sub-frame connectors, which BTW are usually abbreviated as "SFC", so I kinda screwed that up.

If you're planning on strengthening the unibody with SFC's, now would be the time to do it. Your exhaust pipes, turbos and side exit pipes are right in the area where the rear of the SFC's will attach.

I have something in mind. The intercooler will function as a subframe connector. I will try to post a photo of what I am thinking about this afternoon or tomorrow to gather opinions. The "SBF" hade me thinking of "Small block Ford".

002.jpg

003.jpg

This is a Ranger (I think, something found in a junkyard) drive shaft squished. The brackets on the car will be steel and on the tube will be 3/16 aluminum. It may not offer as much strenth as steel, but it should help with any chassis flex (I hope). I may add a third bracket to the front frame rail to the right of the tube in the second photo. The inner part of the tube will be filled with a smaller pipe with both ends closed as to take up space and reduce the volume of air in the oval aluminum pipe, also it should keep the air near the surface of the outer pipe. It also would be sooooo easy to make these air to water intercoolers, and I have not ruled that out yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I see this post title, I'm thinking of some poor Swedish Bikini Team twins, or the Minnesota Twins have lost their bid for the conference title.

I gotta get my mind out of the gutter, but it seems to be JBWelded there...

Back