• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Think I can get $14k for my '66?

johnpro

I'm once again seriously considering selling the '66 coupe. It's been a great car, and was my daily driver for 10 years. Now it just sits under the car cover and hasn't been driven in probably 3+ months and probably once this year. I have been having fun getting my daughter's '67 ready to go back home with her in Oakland and thinking I want another project.

I probably have over $30k in the car and it really needs nothing. It has 66k on the engine wich is a 289 w/351w heads, KB pistons (flat tops with compression around 9.3:1 with the 351 heads), Harland Sharp roller rockers, Comp Cams XE262H Extreme Energy Cam. FLowTech full lenght headers, Ford Racing double roller timing set, Performer RPM intake and jetted up Edelbrock 1405 carb. It has an AOD transmission, and a 3.50 9" traction-lok. It has a Griffin aluminum radiator and SPAL fan. It has '70 disk brakes (drum rears). Front suspsension is all new with StreetOrTrack strut rods, OpenTracker roller upper arms and spring perches. 620 # front springs with KRB Gas-Ajusts all around. It also has the Vario-Centric Camber kit and 1" Aadco front sway bar.

Paint is near perfect, as it has about 1k miles since it was re-done ... does have a chip in the rear from the time when I lost the back wheel.

The car has no rust at all, and has most of the original sheet metal on it.

So ... do you think this car could fetch $14-$16k in this market? Anything less than that wouldn't be worth it, but if I could get in that price range, I think I'll let it go to finance a new project (new project may not even be a Mustang, but it probably will be).

Boy...personally I wouldn't think so in today's economy. It's a nice car (for a coupe...j/k!), very reliable and reasonably fast. It deserves that kind of money, but it would go much quicker at $12k. However, if you put it up for sale at $14k, you might sell it at that price, but you may have to be patient.

It's a tough call, John...

Pat's (napaguy) looking for a daily driver he doesn't need to fix :naug

I'm with Mid. Not that it's not worth it but........... Hey, it never hurts to list it. If it doesn't sell, you're no worse off.

Gosh, it sure sounds like it should be worth that price, but as others have said--the market sucks. Local to me there is an original (allegedly) 50K mile 1965 289/C-4 coupe that they're asking $15,900 for. It is a beautiful Mustang, but it hasn't sold, either. If I wasn't up to my ears in '69 projects, I buy your coupe in a heart beat as a daily driver for myself.

John,
Coming from somebody who has spent the last couple months searching high and low. I think 14 is a little high but not totally out of whack pricewise. It has alot going for it such as being a California car with no rust and mostly original metal. The motors hot which is also a plus. IMHO 13k is probably the most you will get in today's market. But it doesnt hurt to try

One concern to selling at the top end of the pricing is what else is for sale in the local area. That is what brought me the 16,500 on my last '66 Coupe. If there is not much for sale locally, I would advertise it heavy locally. Catch the guy that wants one but will not or cannot get out of town for it.

An uncle of mine would always remind me that you cannot raise the set price once a person is interested but you can lower it....so price it correctly.

I would say ask $15,000/make a reasonable offer.

After driving John's coupe to Lake Tahoe, it's totally worth the money. Right now in the economy I don't think you would get no where near what you want. Just wait till the end of the summer or just put it on ebay and see what it will get. That would be your best bet. At least you will know how much you could get for it.

Back