• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Throttle cable converssion

I searched the site but could not find anything on converting the throttle linkage to cable. I have finally got my 302 efi engine about ready to crank. has anyone made this conversion and what brand did you use? I know Lokar makes one but that is all I found except the cables. How much trouble to install? Thanks.

I used the Lokar direct replacement for our EFI setup. Install was simple, but throttle pedal travel is short and easy to push. Takes a bit getting used to when driving to keep from giving it too much throttle. After a few miles of driving, I figured it out. Works well.

I did the same with the Lokar throttle cable. Really easy to install. Just a tip: make sure that you get that small set screw that holds on the pedal onto the shaft nice and tight. It is a real eye opener to go around a corner and have the pedal fall off....don't ask.

I've heard of people using a pedal out of a '69 or cutting down a foxbody pedal. I liked the looks of the Lokar setup, so that's the one I went with.

The stock EFI throttle cables have a return spring built into the cable assembly. Looking at the ad for the lokar cable, it doesn't look like theirs has a throttle return spring, or does it?

"66gt350" said:
I did the same with the Lokar throttle cable. Really easy to install. Just a tip: make sure that you get that small set screw that holds on the pedal onto the shaft nice and tight. It is a real eye opener to go around a corner and have the pedal fall off....don't ask.

I've heard of people using a pedal out of a '69 or cutting down a foxbody pedal. I liked the looks of the Lokar setup, so that's the one I went with.

I am glad I am not the only one with that problem. Tough to find that little sucker in the carpet too! I ended up putting thread locker on it, I just hope I don't need to take it off again.

"stangg" said:
The stock EFI throttle cables have a return spring built into the cable assembly. Looking at the ad for the lokar cable, it doesn't look like theirs has a throttle return spring, or does it?

The Lokar cable does not have a return spring. It just uses the return spring on the throttle body to pull back on the pedal. Hence the reason for the soft pedal. A secondary spring would be nice.

Back