• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tire pressure

What tire pressure do you run on the street?

• Total voters

Ponyboy66

Pole Position
Poll Position Brad here. The new BFG g-Force Sport comp-2 tires work great and are a much needed improvement over my Toyo Proxes 4's. I have always set tires at 35 psi, but that may be too high for these tires. I have them at 32 psi now and they work great. What tire pressures do you guys run on the street?
Any comments from Big Head Terry or Big Ear Mark?j-hook.jpg

Neither one of those two can give you an answer about what pressure they use. They don't have their mustangs street worthy yet.

And my fastback isn't dead. Merely in the final stages of a rebirth. As a matter of fact, should finish up the wiring this weekend which means time to turn the key...

Here's an excellent trick to determine correct tire pressure. Lay down a thin stream of water onto a concrete or asphalt driveway in front of the car. Then drive across the stream then turn slightly so that the rear tire marks don't overlap the front tires. Look carefully at the pattern of water left by each tire. When tire pressure is correct, the water marks left on the pavement for each tire ends evenly across the tire: not the center and not the two sides of the tire, but evenly. When this happens, pressure in the tire is spread evenly across the entire width of the tire, maximizing traction.

The manufacturer's tire pressure is the maximum designed pressure for the tire. That tire can be fitted onto a 2000 pound vehicle or a 5500 pound vehicle. Why would you think the tire pressure would be the same in both cases? The car manufacturer's recommended pressure is for the tires delivered with the vehicle. If you change from say a 60 series to a 40 series tire, what makes you think that the car manufacturer's pressure would be the same for any tire you put on the vehicle?

So there you have it.

And my fastback isn't dead. Merely in the final stages of a rebirth. As a matter of fact, should finish up the wiring this weekend which means time to turn the key...
Hi Terry,
Glad to hear your close to the finish line. Do you have any build pictures posted? Just trying to liven up Friday, especially after having a family member and a friend in the path of the hurricane. I thought I would get a rise out of Mark, hope he is felling well.
Brad

First, I didn't "fell" today...not once. I've been "feeling" pretty good the last two days, thanks for asking.

To your poll, it's a non sequitur. You didn't ask for cold or hot temps.

What Mid typed is a very good way to determine Street pressures, but the tires need to be at operating temps to be accurate. The real way of getting the correct tire pressure for a particular day at the stated air temps is to run them hard and then with a temp probe (not a IR cheapy) take the HOT temps from the outside - middle - inside edge of each tire and get the pressure reading at that time. Adjust the tire pressure so the temp will be the same all the way across. It WILL be different for every tire at every condition. If you take the temps when cold, it's a waste since the tire will increase in size and temp as it gets hotter.

That's the best answer I can give unless you are running Goodyear Bluestreaks, Nitto NT-01 or Hankook Ventus RS3's. If you are, I can look at my tire temp log book and give you a starting point (since my memory has been chemically removed).

It's a GREAT topic though.

As for asking Terry...he has NO clue. He's never driven his car (and may never). He IS a wealth of knowledge when it comes to flat plane cranks though :p

Neither one of those two can give you an answer about what pressure they use. They don't have their mustangs street worthy yet.

Woah there grandpa, my car ran for 11 years after the resto. I will concede it's been idle for a year and a half.

To your poll, it's a non sequitur. You didn't ask for cold or hot temps.

The "fell" was a wit check, glad you are paying attention! WTF - "non sequitur" I'm a home inspector, not a computer programmer! I asked for street tire temps which should equal cold temps. Mid's write up on cold temps and your write up on hot temps are both very good. Next year I want to log them so I can dial in these tires on track days.

What's wrong with an Infrared thermometer? I use it at work all the time.

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
The "fell" was a wit check, glad you are paying attention! WTF - "non sequitur" I'm a home inspector, not a computer programmer! I asked for street tire temps which should equal cold temps. Mid's write up on cold temps and your write up on hot temps are both very good. Next year I want to log them so I can dial in these tires on track days.

What's wrong with an Infrared thermometer? I use it at work all the time.

The IR gauges are never accurate enough. A probe is.

Back