• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tom's 66 coupe

Huskinhano;6947954 said:
Since a lot of people here post progress of their cars I thought I'd share mine. In no particular order I'll show what I have done or doing. Hopefully you'll find something interesting at some point. I guess I'll start of with my disc brake swap. I bought a set of 72 disc brakes years ago Sunday afternoon while leaving Carlisle. I don't remember what the guy was asking for them but I offered him $25. I really didn't care, I was going to keep walking if he didn't take the offer. He was less then happy but I guess it was better then hauling them back to Timbuck Two. I sandblasted and painted them. I had a set of brand new USA made rotors sitting in my garage along with a master cylinder.

This is the master cylinder I used. It is for a 72 Mustang. I checked with Chock, it does have a residual check valve and 1" piston. I think a better choice would have been for a manual disc Maverick with a 15/16"bore. Oh well. I haven't driven the car yet so I can't say just yet.

One problem I found was the old pushrod was too short. a $1.49 threaded rod coupling was needed to make an adjustable pushrod. I cut the rod in two, threaded both ends and tacked the coupling on. I cut the coupling down to 1" and cut the pushrod 1/2" from the end of the shaft.

Since I needed a proportioning valve, I had an old block from a Granada but I didn't know what shape it was in. So I ordered an adjustable one from SorT. I made my own mounting bracket. Amazing what you can do with a hacksaw, 4" angle grinder and MIG welder.

I rebent the rear line to the valve, cut it down and put a new double flare on it.

Bent some new lines up.

Everything installed.

I used DOT legal flexible SS brake line from Speedway and fittings.

And no, I'm not worried about bumpsteer with the 72 spindles on my 66. More on that later.

Back