• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Torque Box alignment

69mstng

I am in the process of putting a new pass side frame rail and torque box in on my 68 fastback. I got the new torque box on the new rail and from the front of the box to the front of the rail measures 43 1/8. On the original it measures 42 1/2 from the front of the box to the front of the rail.The new torque box needs to be moved forward but cant. The new box is a full torque box with part of the floor pan attatched to it. The pan of coarse sits on top of the tab on the frame rail flat were it is suppose to be. What should i do here? i measured the drivers side orginal from the front of the box to the front of the rail and that measures 42 5/8. I have to repalce the drivers side rail also. Would that screw things up if i was just to leave the new pass side frame rail alone at 43 1/8 and make the new drivers side rail and box 43 1/8 also?

409531_10150435801348078_590878077_7385347_1276693440_n.jpg

429199_10150435801433078_590878077_7385348_1440277726_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fst Blk

I really think you will have a hard time getting that whole assembly in that way. I had to split the one piece torque box in order to get it in right.

Bill

I had to split both of mine when I put both in mine. I actually think it is better to do that as I welded some of the inside of the torque box to the frame and rocker.

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
I think you have to rethink you building sequence . :confu :confu
Throw some pics on this board , maybe we can redirect you .
It would be a shame to redo alot of work here.
IMHO

69mstng

This is my first shot at really doing this kinda of work. Im learning as i go. I can get this whole assembly in the car its a real pain but i have gottten it in. When i did get it in it stuck out past the front crossmember or radiator support whatever you wanna call it. I really dont know what i should do here. Becuase the torque box needs to come forward and but its all the way forward as i can get it. I have no problem cutting at all back apart and redoing this if i have to. I want it done right and plan on keeping the car forever so i have plenty of time lol

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
put some pics on this thread so xe all can see what the situation isyou are talking about.
1 pic tells a thousand words you know.

Fst Blk

When I did this I could get the one piece torque box in, but it never did line up exactly right.
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

I DO NOT suggest doing it this way
004.jpg

I think it was just easier to place the frame rail, then put the bottom portion of the torque box in. I had everything clecoed in place until the alignment was correct.

Bill

69mstng

I will post some pictures tonight when i get home.

67 fastback, I see in your picture you have the torque box under the lip of the frame rail in this picture. I thought it was suppose to go sit top of that lip? That is how i have mine. Maybe that is were things are screwed up? See pic in my first post. I will take some more pictures tonight

004-1.jpg

69mstng

I cut the old front crossmember and placed the frame in there so every one can see what i am dealing with. It was junk any way.

430442_10150437948198078_590878077_7391263_1102907369_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: