• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Towing Advice Needed

Laurie S.

Staff member
It's possible that I may need to tow my fiance's F-250 up from Mexico to Tucson for repairs. Now, as most of you know, I'm very used to towing and have towed my 22-foot-long enclosed trailer all over the country. But, I've never towed a vehicle as big as his before. It can't go in my trailer, so I'm guessing maybe a tow dolly? Both trucks are 2002 F-250s with bed shells. Mine is a supercab with the 6-foot bed, and his is the full-size cab with the 8-foot bed. Can I tow his on a tow dolly, or is there a better way?

It's 350 miles from my house in Tucson to San Carlos. It is a divided highway all the way, so that shouldn't be a problem. If this is possible, what speed would you recommend, including when I'm hauling the empty tow dolly down there? I've never used a tow dolly before.

Because he will be on chemotherapy at the time we do this, if we do it, I will be doing the driving most likely. Any advice would be really welcome!

I would be surprised if you could find a tow dolly rated for that kind of weight. Braking ability would be an issue, as well as the ability to "flat tow" the F 250. You may have to drop the rear drive shaft so that you don't burn up the transmission.

I would think finding the appropriate sized flat bed trailer with dual axle brakes would be your best choice. I did pull a Chevy 3/4 ton pickup on a flat bed trailer with no brakes behind my F250 and after a few miles downhill, my Ford's brakes faded to the point of having to use the emergency brake to bring it to a stop. Your truck, with the other truck on a trailer with working brakes, is by far the best, safest way to go.

Okay, thanks, makes sense. I'll have to check with U-haul and see what they have. He's getting it looked at today by a guy who supposedly knows diesel electronics. It seems to be a fuel pump issue.

"Laurie S." said:
Okay, thanks, makes sense. I'll have to check with U-haul and see what they have. He's getting it looked at today by a guy who supposedly knows diesel electronics. It seems to be a fuel pump issue.

If it is not running, make sure they check the crank sensor...they are a known problem, easy to fix.

Pump is not running? If not sure, open the drain valve on the fuel bowl, wait for it too drain and then cycle the key, should have a steady stream of fuel pissing out by the passenger side manifold where the drain exits. The CPS is very common as mentioned above and also the ICP sensor on the drivers side head. The 7.3s do not like aftermarket sensors so stick with Ford or International. The 7.3 is fairly simple to diagnose and work on. Might be easier the repair than tow the monster home.

"Laurie S." said:

I doubt if the U-Haul would do you any good. Their car trailer probably is rated for something the size of a full sized pickup. Probably have to find someone with an equipment trailer or don't tell them that you're towing a pickup.

I'm still waiting on word for what his mechanic says. I really don't want to haul his truck, but if that's the last option, I'll have to face it.

I need to check and see what my boat weighs. We used my truck and trailer (no brakes) to haul it down to San Carlos and had no problems. The boat is 38 feet long.

I've backed your truck and had one as well. I doubt there will be an issue with weight. Your truck is a monster and will tow his no problem. A dolly is a good idea, but you will have to disconnect his drive shaft when it is being towed unless it is 4wd and has a manual transfer case shifter that you can put in neutral.

The best is that it gets fixed, but even if you bought a towbar that attaches to his front bumper and you tow it that way. That works well, jut different to pull due to the front wheels on his truck turning. Don't try to back it up. With this option you will have to make sure the steering column is unlocked the entire way.

If I was closer I would loan you my trailer.

Mel

Back