• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Track day yesterday (updated with video)

A

Anonymous

Finally made it out to the track yesterday, I feel much better today!

Car ran like a scalded ape, I really love the 4.11 gears with the toploader, way more fun than the T10 and 3.70's. There were only 18 cars that showed, so they combined the intermediate (me) and advanced cars again. It was mucho fun trying my best to hang with the advanced guys.

At the end of the 3rd session I noticed a small vibration and came in to check it out, thought it might be tires or driveshaft, so I checked all that and they were fine. Looked over the engine and nothing jumped out at me. I went out for the 4th session and midway through the vibration came back and got worse, got black flagged as I was coming around the final 3 corners, came off track as my temp gauge spiked. Stopped in the pits and it was just spewing steam, popped the hood and the top alternator bolt had worked it's way out which let the alt fall and that kicked the belt off. Water pump stopped pumping and, well.......it got damn hot!
Had it towed back up to the trailer and let it sit awhile. After it had cooled off, thankfully it cranked back up and I was able to load it up under its own power.

Unloaded this morning and put it back together, re-filled the water and started it up, ran fine, stayed at a normal temp and no funky sounds or leaks. I'll still do a compression check just to make sure, but it seems like I dodged another bullet. Maybe I should start calling the car, Cat....seems like it has more than a few lives!

On a good note, finally got to try out the new double roller perches from John (ORP). I doubt that anyone would see a difference over the std rollers on the street, but I did like how the car "set" better going into the corners. It felt less twitchy and stayed more solid/stable through the corners than before. I would give them a thumbs up for track cars.

I did get a little video, once I edit it down I'll upload for all to laugh at.

and NO, the Cruzer was not there yesterday :cry A new guy did come out with his Factory Five Cobra roadster, he was in the novice class so I got to watch/listen to him on track. That was one sweet ride. Best of all, nobody wrecked yesterday, that's always a plus. I did have an advanced guy in a 944 spin right in front of me though, that was interesting.

Re: Track day yesterday

Forgot to add, I had my pit crew with me yesterday and she was doing a little PR for ORP!

09161708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

"silverblueBP" said:
and NO, the Cruzer was not there yesterday :cry A

All of SF got together and petitioned the PT Cruisers in your area to please stay home so you would have a good day........They all agreed in between the laughter.

Thanks, you guys are alright :toot :toot

Sounds like a great day to me! Hopefully, the alternator mishap doesn't have any long lasting affects.

Looking forward to the video!

No, the 944 that spun was a silver (to my color blind eyes) full on SCCA race car with good driver! It's at the tail end of my video that I'm currently working on.

"tarafied1" said:
when did you paint your car silverblue? :danc

It's a wrap I put on so I don't mess up that beautiful GO color

:rofl :rofl :rofl

"70_Fastback" said:
Oh, so his Wife said no.... :conf

I refuse to answer that question on account that it may be true......did I type that out loud :hide

J/K Danno

:nice :rofl

Mark: do you think your vibration is due to the alternator coming off, or something else?

I'm pretty sure that's what it was since it went away right before I came in. That probably coincided with the whole thing dropping down and the belt coming off. I'll find out for sure when I take it back to the track Sept 30th. It seemed ok today, but I'm still going to do a compression check and look at the plugs, then spool it up through the rpms and see if there is a vibration.

At 7,000 rpm bad things can certainly happen and it spends a considerable time there.

"silverblueBP" said:
I refuse to answer that question on account that it may be true......did I type that out loud :hide

J/K Danno

:nice :rofl

I hear that if you talk badly about people, things will start falling off of your engine :voodoo

I have been in meetings for 31 of the last 48 hrs and I have to be back there at 7:30 tomorrow :run

Phew. If the car gets back on the trailer under its own power at the end of the day, then its a good day.

"danno66gt" said:
I have been in meetings for 31 of the last 48 hrs and I have to be back there at 7:30 tomorrow :run
oh that sucks the big one! I hate meetings. Do you have your bullsh1t bingo cards? you know the words used in EVERY meeting, you pass out cards with them on there and when one of you fill your card in the meeting you jump up and yell "Bullsh!t"

Finally got a couple of laps uploaded. I had a 7,200 chip in which actually kicks in at 7,000 rpm. You can hear it bumping it a number of times. If you look at the temp gauge (2nd from right), you can see it climb right at the end of the video.
We ran the 1.8 mile "short course" due to a lack of corner workers. Still fun though :toot

Heartland Park Topeka 9/16/09

Back