• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trouble's 390 Now Is On The Level

Laurie S.

Staff member
I spent the afternoon today under Trouble, removing the motor mount insulators, placing spacers between the engine and motor mounts, and reassembling everything. It works! The oil pan no longer is resting on the rack. In fact, I can slide my fingers between the pan and the rack. The 390 now is sitting level and no longer leans up against the master cylinder. And, I didn't even chip a nail.

:pep :pep :pep :pep :pep :pep

You go, girl! The headers are installed, right? And the master cylinder is free of engine leanings as well?

Yes, the headers are installed and the engine no longer leans on the master cylinder. There's still not much room there, but there is space--all of about 1/32 inch. I'll have to watch it when I wind it up. :hide

On the level AND no broken nails. That is a good afternoon. As long as everything else fits, you will be in good shape. Just close the hood gently.

There's still plenty of clearance under the hood. The only problem right now is that the opening for the frame motor mount bolt is slightly off. I can slide my large screwdriver blade through it, but it's off just enough that I can't get the bolt through it. I tried a few things and still couldn't get it to work. So, the hole will have to be enlarged a bit. I'm just not sure what is the best way to do that.

it's off just enough that I can't get the bolt through it. I tried a few things and still couldn't get it to work. So, the hole will have to be enlarged a bit. I'm just not sure what is the best way to do that.

Have you tried removing the bolt on the other side..... installing the one that won't seem to line up now...... and then go back and try putting the bolt on the other side back in?

I wouldn't be so quick to enlarge that hole..... there's got to be a combination of twisting and wiggling that will get the bolt into the hole..... you just have to keep playing with it until you find that combination.

Maybe temporarily loosen the mount to engine bolts? Not remove, but loosen enough to create some more wiggle room.

Neither bolt is in right now. I'm going to get a pry rod set and then loosen some bolts and see if I can wiggle the mounts enough to get a bolt through there. I'm not going to say that I'm going to muscle a 390 around because we all know that sure ain't going to happen. :rof

I spent about 90 minutes last night under the car and managed to get the passenger side motor mount bolt in. What a bear of a job! But, I'm rather stubborn and determined, in case anyone hadn't noticed. :rof

Tonight, the driver's side! :guns

"Laurie S." said:
I spent about 90 minutes last night under the car and managed to get the passenger side motor mount bolt in. What a bear of a job! But, I'm rather stubborn and determined, in case anyone hadn't noticed. :rof

Tonight, the driver's side! :guns

Gotta love those big blocks!!!

Oh yeah! The funny thing is I thought that the driver's side would be really hard to do because of the steering stuff in the way. Turned out that I got the bolt through the motor mount in less than 10 minutes and didn't even have to loosen the frame mount. Bad thing is that I lost the nut in my garage and have no idea where it bounced to. I checked the hardware stores and they don't have a stock looking nut of that size. Grrrrrrr.....

I lost the nut in my garage

He's probably out drinking a beer with AZPete.

Seriously though.... is it possible that the nut is somewhere on the car? Laying on a frame rail, fender apron, R&P unit, etc., etc.? If you're like most people, you had the mount bolt/nut stored together, when you used the bolt, could you have laid the nut down onto something close by? It'll turn up, probably right after the new one arrives.

"daveSanborn" said:
I lost the nut in my garage

He's probably out drinking a beer with AZPete.

Seriously though.... is it possible that the nut is somewhere on the car? Laying on a frame rail, fender apron, R&P unit, etc., etc.? If you're like most people, you had the mount bolt/nut stored together, when you used the bolt, could you have laid the nut down onto something close by? It'll turn up, probably right after the new one arrives.

No, I know when I lost it. I had both sets of bolts and nuts in my hand and went to put them on top of my tool cabinet. I dropped one nut and heard it fall on my box of sandpaper. I have been through that box three times now, and no nut. I've looked and looked, with no success so far. It would be easier if I could move Trouble out of the garage because I'm sure it's trapped somewhere over by the wall next to the car. In the meantime, I have a nonstock nut on there to keep the bolt in place.

Back