• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk lid installed - yeah baby!!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Big weekend for Shag. Finished installing and firing up both brake and backup lights but more importantly glued trunklid WS and installed the lid.

First pic shows I taped off the lid leaving the 5/8" gap. Layed a thin layer of black 3m 8008 adhesive on both the trunklid as well as the weather stripping. Let it dry for a couple hours. Wife came over to help me install the WS by holding the excess WS while I applied a thin 3rd layer on the trunkklid and quickly applied the WS, about a foot at a time.

In no time we had it done and started to immediately remove the blue tape. Turned out great as seen in the 2nd pic.

Because I did the 3 layers of adhesive, once the WS touched the lid, it was there forever so I didn't have to use weights to press the WS to the trunkklid.

The trunklid was ready to be installed but I wanted my son's help so I had to wait until yesterday (Sunday). We came over and had it installed in a manner of minutes. I had very little adjustment to get it roughed in. In the 3rd pic you might be able to see a little more gap on the RH side than the LH side. Later yesterday I simply adjusted the latch bracket and it turned out good enough for government work.

4_31_08_09_6_19_52_0.JPG

4_31_08_09_6_19_53_1.JPG

4_31_08_09_3_25_10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. To bad that gas station attendant couldn't put the cap on straight.....oh.....wait....they are self serve now. :rofl

Man, I want dem drugs you guys are floatin on for that ole gas cap looks prettsie straight to me.

Did you ask someone to close the decklid as you laid inside to inspect for light (and water) leaks? If so, why did they let you out again?

Hi Craig

Really nice work !!! Its almost as good as i did on my fastback LOL

I just need to mount the orig trim. ( i have polished it last weekend )

Meanwhile i assembled the tension rod which keep the decklid open.

Here i have a problem , that is when i close the decklid , it does not line up correctly as it did without the tension rod.

I think there is too much play in the hinges i presume.

Anyone knows a remedy ? ( beside new hinges )

Well the tension rod pushes the entire decklid to the left .Only when the latch catches the eye , it lines perfectly.

Understand what i mean ? ( sorry for bad english )

Only when the latch catches the eye , it lines perfectly.

Yes, I understand.

Notice on the trunk latch striker bracket pictured below that the mounting holes are elongated.

4_24_08_09_6_10_47.JPG

The mounting holes are elongated to provide an adjustment feature for aligning the deck lid.

If your deck lid aligns after closing, all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back