• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk trailer >cutting rockers, etc. sawsall, how hard?

I was quoted 10,000+ for labor and another 3000.00 for parts, why would anybody drop that kind of cash on a I6 coupe??? Hell id buy a Dynacorn repo fastback shell before id spend it bringing back a stripped down basic I6 coupe.

Yeah, this one needed a lot of work, I kept hoping I could find one in a JY with the front end totalled but hadn't had any luck coming across that perfect back half. This car had a lot of rust, especially in the front, was a plain jane I6 as mentioned with no options, there's rust under the rear seat, etc. but i plan to cut all that out and drop the trunk deeper. It was the best candidate for a sacrifice as I could find and James had tried to sell it for months on multiple boards. I felt bad cutting it up but as mentioned the cost to bring this coupe back would never had been recovered or been worth the investment probably, a fastback might have been worth it...
Jon

I can't believe I missed this thread! That one looks better than the POS 67 but a good candidate for a trailer. It will be cool to share ideas and we are close. I saw Pete's suggestion of bringing it over here, that might have been a good idea but now at least we can motivate each other!

Have any of you trailer builders thought of the type of hitch for the car you will use? Going with a stock style or custom?

"AzPete" said:
Have any of you trailer builders thought of the type of hitch for the car you will use? Going with a stock style or custom?

I plan to go custom and bolt to the inner sides of the rear frame where the tow hooks are, across the rear behind the valence and hopefully exit through the license plate backing cut hole through valence). I plan to use a receiver type hitch, probably 1.5" to keep it small and I won't be towing a lot of wt. I'll have to remove my lic. plate to install the hitch and mount it somewhere temp. when towing but I plan to have it hidden behind the plate when not used. I can make a mock up with wood first when I get to that point.
Jon

"jrherald420" said:
Where are you at in KY??
Russellville, West of Bowling Green
"AzPete" said:
I bought an original dealer installed type hitch on ebay but since Jon is building one, maybe two wouldn't be too hard? JK :ecit

Craig, I'll definately let you know when I get that far and if my idea pans out physically to clear, I'll be working with SellersRodshop on this of course since I can't weld...I think he wants to make a hitch for his '69.
Jon

You might get buy with hinging you plate to the drivers side. Still readable from a passing car.....

I have had ideas like that but wonder if that part of the frame will be strong enough. I thought of running a bar to the front, under the tank like the old ones. The difference would be that I would have that entire piece under the tank removable like the current receiver hitches. I have built hitches for motorcycles that all was hidden under the fender. Done properly, the draw bar can be inserted up, into the receiver and still do easy towing. Just a bit harder to use but well hidden.

I thought a bar like you said plus one at the front of the tank. Both would have a receiver so a single piece of square tubing with two draw bar type pin setups would be inserted into both receivers and run out the back with a ball mounted.

I need one at times but for nothing heavy.

I'd have to see a drawing of that to understand fully Pete but sounds like another solid option. We'll have to get the mods to add a 'Trailer' section when one of use finally gets started on these to toss around hitch ideas, trailer options, etc.

The hitch would really come in handy for toting track tires, mountain bike, parts trailer like my tilt one, etc. I just want to be able to hide the receiver when I'm not using it.
Jon

i've got a flat bar reciever here that i use on the rods instead of a square tubing version that would be much simpler to hide & use. it can be placed under the valence & not seen vs. having to come up with something to hide behind the plate.

I remember you mentioning that type Steve, you'll have to show me when I get by this week. Any evening that's better to stop by this week? I need to bring my headers by to get the flanges tacked on if you have the time.
Jon

Back