• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tune up kit

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
I want to do a basic tune up on the 1964.5 convertible. 289 4v. I got AP45 Autolite spark plugs. I found a motorcraft distributor cap while cleaning out stuff. I need the "points and condenser" kit. Where to buy a quality kit these days? Maybe even spark plug wires. Please, no chinese manufactured parts. [.]

fd

I would second Rock Auto. You can pick the manufacturer of the parts, including Motorcraft if available. There is always Amazon, I have found Motorcraft parts there as well. I recently compared prices on a list of parts between Rock Auto and Amazon. Rock Auto was significantly less expensive for the exact same Raybestos brake parts.

I looked it up on another forum, the numbers represent the votes:

5 Blue Streak (Standard)
3 Napa Echlin
3 Motorcraft
2 NOS Motorcraft

Last edited:
I am not that familiar with Blue Streak. I can tell you there is nothing wrong with using Nape Echlin parts, sold those for years and always had good luck. People are dreaming to think a 50+ year old NOS part (if it could be found) will perform as good as a new quality part. The quality is the trick!

Blue Streak was always the "go to" back in the day for ignition stuff. Haven't needed stuff for years (decades?) at this point. Pertronix junkie. Points have been a real problem for a very long time now. Expect to buy a few sets until you get a good one seems to be the norm now. They almost all seem to be junk these days by internet reports. If you find a good one...stock up!

I know that I am preaching to the choir, do not want chinese junk. I will go to my local O'Reilly for the parts. Thanks for the recommendations'.

fd

Back