• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

turn signals, windshield wipers, gas gauge not working

Namvet

I need some info please before I start digging into this. The gas gauge and turn signals work intermittently, whenever I turn on the wiper blades everything shuts down. Any input on this would be appreciated. I know that this entire system is wired together.
'65 mustang
Thankyou

I'm not as familiar with the 65 as 67/68's. However, I believe the gas gauge is part of the instrument cluster which is separate from the turn signals like the 67/68. The wiper switch is even separate on the 65. The only thing I could think really connecting them might be a ground problem. When you say "everything shuts down" can you be more specific? Are you saying the gas gauge and turn signals don't work when the wipers are turned on or does all electrical stuff quit? Do the oil pressure and temp gauges work okay?

Ask midlife. I think your switch in the steering column is bad. That would fix turn signals. The fuel gauge could be a couple things.

Mid is the expert.

Mel

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

the instrument cluster wiring is tied together and there is a voltage regulator. If the gas gauge is the only one acting funny it could be the sender?
Drawing2.jpg

the turn signal circuit is a little more complicated but the only tie I could see to wiper and instruments is the power from the ignition switch (297)
1965-Mustang-Exterior-Lighting-Turn-Signals-And-Horns-1.jpg

looking at the 66 wiring, I can see that the wiper power and instrument voltage regulator also get there power from the ignition switch and both ground to the dash.
1966-Ford-Mustang-Interior-Lighting-Windshield-Wiper-and-Gauges-1.jpg

I guess I would check that power lead based on what you have described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, when I say everything shuts down I just meant the gas gauge and turn signals. I should have mentioned that a previous owner disconnected the stock temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge and put in an aftermarket unit under tha dash. These units are working fine.

I think you have two issues.

1- the Steering column wire loom and switch. Easy R&R fix and not an expensive fix.

2- Fuel sending unit at the tank.

Be sure to check your ground under your dash first. If it is not solid it will cause both issues. to isolate your turn signal loom, unplug it from under the dash at the base of the steering column and if your fuel gauge starts to work then you know. In the 67 it seems almost everything runs up the steering column and back to work. Look at the above diagram.

HTH, Mel

Back