• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

turning speedometer back to zero?

Dne'

Is it illegal to reset the odometer back to zero/no miles? or should I just leave the miles that's on it? I have about 85kish miles on mine. if so, how do I do it?
thanks, dne'
IMG_7885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's illegal to turn miles back on an existing odometer. A new odometer is another thing.

I'm pretty sure that odometer was replaced....wink, wink! You can set them at whatever you want, but I haven't messed with one from that year so I will not give useless advice :zip

If you carry the old one in the glove box and then add those miles to the existing odometer you should be ok....

If it's illegal to roll it backward, then just roll it forward.
And since the next number after 99999.9 is zero, well..... :naug

Ya'll made me laugh! yeah, how the heck would anyone know that I just turned over 100k miles! Maybe just put 14,000ish miles! lol and wink wink! :rofl
Good answers everyone! :pep
It looks like the little milage thingy is just held in by a clip, but messing that clip up could be bad! I'm in no hurry~ I'll wait until someone knows.
dne'

The legality of ododometer changes is state-regulated: almost every state has it illegal when done by a auto wholesaler or retailer. Whether changing the odometer by an individual is illegal is up to the state regulations. There may be some provisions for doing so based upon the age of the vehicle as well. Check your State Regulations to be sure.

If your title say exempt where the miles are you can do whatever you want with it. Texas will put exempt there even if you record actual miles on a car of that vintage. At least that's been my experience.

Regardless of the legalities, connecting the chuck of a high speed drill to the male end of your speedometer cable (where it would normally connect to the speedo gear in the transmission), and then setting the drill on high will get the job done w/o disassemblying the oddometer. It's a slow process, but it's been done MANY times.

Back