• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TV advertising.....

AzPete

Help me here, how many companies use a well known person to advertise after their death? I am having a hard time thinking of any, yet Billy Mays is still hawking all these products. Now, really, can you believe a dead man?

Pulled from an article on line from Jun 13th.. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/business/media/14adco.html ..as we know, it is all about money.

Many of Mr. Mays’s infomercials were taken off TV after his death. His relatives, who will receive royalties from the infomercials, announced last week that they would permit his clients to continue running his spots and using his likeness on products.

In a statement, Mr. Mays’s widow, Deborah, said, “Billy believed in every product he sold, and he loved nothing more than bringing helpful products to people at a great savings.�

Mr. Mays’s lawyer, Roger Pliakas, said the announcement was necessary to signal to television networks that they could resume running the ads.

“The networks weren’t going to run anything until the family signed off,� Mr. Pliakas said in an interview Monday. The networks that covered Mr. Mays’s death as a news story were particularly resistant about the commercials, he added, so the family’s statement sought to “tell the networks what our position was.�

Mr. Pliakas said there was no debate among the family members about the resumption. “This is what we really feel Billy would have wanted to do,� he said, adding, “We felt we could let the public decide whether it was appropriate or not.�

Among Mr. Mays’s clients, the decision to keep playing his ads was not a unanimous one. Church & Dwight, the makers of OxiClean and the cleaning solution Orange Glo, has yet to put Mr. Mays’s commercials back in rotation. The home page of the OxiClean Web site continues to pay tribute to Mr. Mays, with a photo of the pitchman in his trademark blue shirt.

Steve McQueen was used by Ford after he was dead.

I seem to remember Fred Astaire was used in a commercial after his death as well.

Isn't Mr. Whipple also dead?

Back