• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Updated 7/4, text complete, photos now Trunk detail, almost done

Thanks for the help, tips, and assistance AZ Pete, Craig, and Sluggo

Well after lots of procrastination and honey do this delays I finally have all but completed my trunk detailing. I wanted a flat floor in the trunk, with a hidden space that would serve to hold some tools and some detailing supplies I also have a fuel filler tube that Tarafied1 was kind enough to modify for me, that has been waiting to be installed. I decided to be brave and ditch the spare tire, I travel the deluxe AAA card and I'm not sure the spare would clear the front brakes, this cleared up a lot of space. I wanted the the wheel houses blocked out and the tail light panel covered, and a better trimming of the pass thru opening that the Distinctive Industries trunk kit provided.

I used cardboard to make patterns for the left and right sides, then transfered these to foam core board, finally to 1/4 or 1/2 MDF depending upon the location. Some 3/4 pine was used to make the vertical supports for the sides surrounding the fuel tank. I used some 1 x 2 pine underneath the sides to prevent sagging over time. I used two swivel rubber faced machine feet on each side, T nuts, and threaded rod to level the sides to each other and clear the spare tire hook. Once I had them where they needed to be I cut the rod off and filled the holes. The front piece was made to fit tight under the fold down extension that extends into the trunk. The rear piece fits between the rear panel and the fuel filler tube. The four pieces are fastened together with inside corner brackets, T nuts, and machine screws. I covered the top surfaces with carpet and the other sides with self adhesive vinyl. I used 1/4 MDF to make a cover for the top of the fuel tank, I plan to secure tool holders to this in the future.

The wheel houses were blocked off by making a piece for the side, which itself is three pieces, the side, a section to cover the front sloping wall of the trunk, and a lip to hide the gap between the trunk wall and the fiberglass surround. This mounts to the trunk hinge bracket with a couple of sheet metal screws. The rear piece was shaped to follow the contour of the quarter panel, then but against the side piece. I glued a section of 1 x 2 pine to it to give the screws at this joint something secure to fasten to. A section of aluminum angle was fastened to the floor behind the seam of the wheel house, a nutsert was placed in it so the rear piece would be held secure at the floor level.

I made panels to cover the tail light panel, it mounts by dropping into an aluminum channel secured to the lower panel. I made a box to cover the filler tube, I made it follow the contours as closely as possible. I also made it as tight as possible around the striker for the trunk latch. I found some metal brackets that allow it to slide down and lock tightly in place from above.

I trimmed the opening with 1/2 aluminum angle in order to protect the MDF from getting beaten up over time. More aluminum was used to make supports for the cover, T nuts and machine screws hold these in place. The cover is 1/2 MDF, covered with carpet and faced with the vinyl on the bottom. I edged it with windlace to protect it and keep it from rattling against the aluminm supports.

Left to complete is is lighting, I have some LED lamps that will be mounted, I'll use a mercury switch and an over ride switch so I can turn them off if I'm at a show or working back there. I need to find a better handle for the cover, the current one is too large and just doesn't look right.

Attachments

• complete left.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0817.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0817.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
Re: Trunk detail, almost done

Let me try this again, I loaded the images to Image Shack, lets hope this works better than Photobcket did.

dsc0825g.jpg

dsc0824te.jpg

dsc0822o.jpg

dsc0821v.jpg

dsc0820q.jpg

dsc0819hr.jpg

dsc0818p.jpg

dsc0817a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Updated, photos now Trunk detail, almost done

That turned out great. I hope I can get mine to look so clean. :thu

Bill

That looks great. You have to do a write-up of some sort to let us know how you did that.

Thats looking very clean.Nice work you did !!!

Don't take this wrong but the handle ......there must be another solution :confu :confu

Very clean work. Messr Bruno does bring up a good subject. What is the black handle for? If it's just to lift up the panel which I assume is pretty light in weight, how about a 3/4" hole for your index finger or a flat piece of black fabric ribbon that can you make into a loop to use as a handle. Both of these will allow more 6 packs of beer to sit nice and flat.

"cmayna" said:
Very clean work. Messr Bruno does bring up a good subject. What is the black handle for? If it's just to lift up the panel which I assume is pretty light in weight, how about a 3/4" hole for your index finger or a flat piece of black fabric ribbon that can you make into a loop to use as a handle. Both of these will allow more 6 packs of beer to sit nice and flat.

I have been looking for alternatives, I agree, it looks bad. Somewhere in my garage is a short section of black web nylon, it even has a brass eyelet on one end that I'll use to mount it to the underside of the cover, of course I have to find it first.

So how do I get my text description to post? I had a nice long detailed descriptioevery timerytime I post it, most of it disappears.

its a copy paste bug in the forum. You have to either eliminate some quotes, commas, and other punctuation, or retype here. it sucks.

"lethal289" said:
its a copy paste bug in the forum. You have to either eliminate some quotes, commas, and other punctuation, or retype here. it sucks.

That makes sense, I tried using the spell check and that was a real mess, created more errors than it found.

If you use the modify message icon to the right of where the text is once it is posted, it works. This is not the normal "modify" word on the top next to the "quote"......

Post you stuff normal.....once you see it is missing the last part....modify using the icon only indicator ........

Back