• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Upgraded Export Brace Options

joesgt281

Well drat, since adding the FE-style valve covers to the 351 in my 67, there's no room for the PCV on the pass side of the motor (literally only about 1 finger of clearance.
I've got the stamped steel ones so looking at my options for the upgraded kind like this system from MPG:
expbrac1.jpg

The Total Control Products is nice but 30% more money, and harder to install (but maybe more effective). Here's the whole system, that could be added to over time.
PKG-TWRB-01_ID.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if it will give you anymore room, but I'm partial to my Maier racing piece. Dallas Mustang also has a really nice bar on the Terlingua Mustangs they built, I'll see if I can find a pic. They both mount on top of the firewall brace, so they should both be taller in the back than the TCP type brace as it mounts under the brace.

2_28_12_08_5_44_52_0.JPG

DMP's Terlingua Mustang export brace (65/66):

trt_thumbs_lg_8.jpg

Joe,

Is your transmission removed? There should be plenty of room for the PCV on the passenger side valve cover....

Here's a few pictures of my sons '68 w/351W and the full TCP bracing kit. We swapped valve covers, but both sets were considered "tall" compared to stock ones. How much taller are the FE style covers? Obviously a lot.

017-5.jpg

000_0332.jpg

000_0322.jpg

Good pics Dave.
Yes, the FE valve covers are taller than my tall Motorsport valve covers, but the Breeze adapters add about 1/2" as well.
The big problem with the stock export brace is that it really dips down in the center of it to give it strength. And because it's so wide, the edge goes right over the PCV connection.
I'm actually looking for an excuse to buy the cool ones, so it's all good. Just want to know all the options before pulling the trigger.
Those TCP systems definetly are sexy. The MPG ones look a bit flimsy.

"joesgt281" said:
I'm actually looking for an excuse to buy the cool ones, so it's all good. Just want to know all the options before pulling the trigger.
Those TCP systems definetly are sexy. The MPG ones look a bit flimsy.

I had a TCP setup, not the full one like Dave showed, but changed because I didnt think it looked as beefy once it was installed. Its a cool setup, just didnt seem as beefy, thats why I switched.

Dave,
How does the brace at the firewall mount....specifically the vertical part of it?
I doubt you'd want to use sheet metal screws, but access on the interior side to be able to put nuts would be a significant biotch with the dash installed I bet (radio, A/C ducting).

Im using the lower TCP mount, you can see the three bolts in the pic below, they are 3/8 bolts that go through the firewall. Its not all that hard to install, even with the dash components installed. I had a buddy take off the TCP mounting tabs and used it as an additional brace piece.

2_28_12_08_5_44_52_0.JPG

"Fast68back" said:
Im using the lower TCP mount, you can see the three bolts in the pic below, they are 3/8 bolts that go through the firewall. Its not all that hard to install, even with the dash components installed. I had a buddy take off the TCP mounting tabs and used it as an additional brace piece.

2_28_12_08_5_44_52_0.JPG

ahh gotcha...thanks.
still got that crappy TCP system stashed away somewhere you want to sell cheap? :hide

The PCV valve elbow sticks up about an inch above the valve cover grommet.
As a temp fix I'll probably just see if I can find a shorter one.
But of course, I'll still have to get some cool braces as soon as possible :naughty
78_31_12_08_5_53_50_0.jpg

78_31_12_08_5_53_51_1.jpg

Yes, your valve covers are definitely higher than ours and I can see where you're having clearance issues. Like Rick stated, installing the TCP style firewall brace is pretty straightforward. After drilling the holes in the firewall from the engine compartment side, you'll just have to snake the support plate and a few nuts/washers up under the dash. IIRC, this was one of those tasks where I called the wife out to the shop to give me a hand for a second. With one person, it would have been very difficult the hold the plate in position (from under the dash) and then install the bolts (through the engine compartment).

"joesgt281" said:
ahh gotcha...thanks.
still got that crappy TCP system stashed away somewhere you want to sell cheap? :hide

Nah, I sent them back to H-town with Sluggo......... He is gonna have to have the lower mounting bracket fabricated, like I said I had the mounting tabs removed and use it with my currrent setup as additional bracing.

You could always do something cool with the stock brace
2_31_12_08_7_06_04_0.jpg

2_31_12_08_7_06_04_1.jpg

Here's my temp fix till I get some cool braces. I picked up this elbow, and an inline, not angled PCV valve.
78_02_01_09_5_12_41.jpg

Back