• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Using MP Struts on a track car.

A

Anonymous

I'm in new territory here and need to learn. How well does a MacPherson strut do on a track car? Are they any do's and don't do that I need to be aware of? I don't plan on serious track time but would like to play a little, maybe.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Hmmmm no replies yet. You might consider moving this post over to the track board. If you can't I can do it for you.

A

Anonymous

"67 evil eleanor" said:
I'm in new territory here and need to learn. How well does a MacPherson strut do on a track car? Are they any do's and don't do that I need to be aware of? I don't plan on serious track time but would like to play a little, maybe.

I was going to answer, but with zero experience with struts and track cars.... :sm_NTA

apollard

Not a Stang, but I've tracked my M5 a fair amount. Struts do fine in that app. It's nice to be able to adjust them, and folks make plates & wedges to do that for the M5. Might be available for your struts also.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I laid out the suspension on a scale and it looks like about one inch of movement at the top of the strut gives you about one degree either camber or caster. I need to hit it dead on when I fab it up. When I get a little further along I'll post some photos for you guys to take a look at and offer advice.

stangg

For the strut adjustment, would the BBK adjustable strut plates that they make for the Fox/ SN95 Mustangs be something you could adapt for the additional adjustability?

B452525.jpg

In case your looking for alternatives to struts... Here's what I did when I decided to scrap the struts, but still use the SN95 spindles. I changed over to a double A arm setup by making an adapter to go between the upper control arms ball joint and the spindle. With adjustable upper control arms it's very easy to get just about any alignment setting. This is essentially the same thing Factory 5 does for their cobra kit cars. Mine are pretty beefy... not an area to skimp on.

Pole Position upper control arms and ball joint adapter...
stangg_0006.jpg

Partial model of the adapter... I drew up the parts in autosketch and then had a guy cut the the plates on a laser cutter directly from the DXF files.
stangg_0007.jpg

Shaun

There are plenty of cars tracking struts. Even plenty of spec race cars. The limiting factor is camber gain though. You won't get anywhere near the camber gain of a SLA type suspension. Take a look at a F1, Indy, Nascar, Corvette and even a correctly setup classic Mustang , anything that corners really fast will use a SLA based suspension.

apollard

Not disagreeing that the SLA is the setup to have for racing, but BMW (and others) are getting 1+G cornering forces from MP setups on the street, so for what he is looking for, it should work fine. Not to mention the work involved in adapting his front AWD assemblies even more.

Or, to put it another way: a MP strut system is capable of handling anything 98+% of the drivers out there can throw at it.

Shaun

"apollard" said:
Not disagreeing that the SLA is the setup to have for racing, but BMW (and others) are getting 1+G cornering forces from MP setups on the street, so for what he is looking for, it should work fine. Not to mention the work involved in adapting his front AWD assemblies even more.

Or, to put it another way: a MP strut system is capable of handling anything 98+% of the drivers out there can throw at it.

Yep agreed. Struts work, SLA can be better...

A

Anonymous

Here's the basic setup. I plan on recessing the CV carrier up in the rail about 1.5" to get the angle right, the LCA is correct. There are a couple of questions though, when changing to a MPS and adapting to a 68, what should the camber and caster settings be. I will have to nail this on the first try. I'm not sure there are any room for an adjustable top.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 029.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 21