1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Voter ID's and Racism

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by msell66, Dec 5, 2017.

1. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

They require ID to vote in Utah. I have no problem with it.

I don't have a polling place so I either have to vote by mail or go in and vote using a provisional ballot and they check to see it I voted twice.

I don't like that at all. I never know if my vote even gets counted at all.

Mel

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

2. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

Arguments against the requirement of photo ID for voting purposes are complete BS. Many states have this requirement from strict to less stringent rules. see this link for details
    https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_identification_laws_by_state

It is limited to mainly largely historic Democratic states that fight the requirement. They use arguments as in the video about persons being unable to afford. Really? Free to like $10 gets the ID anywhere. Who can't find $10 over the course of FOUR YEARS to vote in a presidential election? Unable to get to a location to obtain one? Again, in four years someone can't find a way? They can apparently find a way to get to a polling place. :confused:

So the argument goes deeper. It's not just the cost of the ID itself but all the associated costs that may be required. Things like getting a copy of a birth certificate, etc. You can read this if you like but it will only make your head hurt and your stomach churn.

https://today.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FullReportVoterIDJune20141.pdf

How do these same persons get a job if they don't have this stuff? Or sign a lease? Collect any and all government handouts? It's all, again, BS. A smokescreen to prevent commonsense policy.

3. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Berkeley is another world, The interviewed with the white people were a joke. The people interviewed have no clue and probably sheltered by rich parents. Pathetic. Maybe these people who have no clue need to sign up for the Marine Corps.

4. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

Funny how the left goes around screaming that righties are the racists and then they show how little they think of other people.

5. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Ahhhh...the power of editing a short video. Clearly, this was not a scientific undertaking of a poll. The producer COULD have only used those comments from Berkeley that appeared to be racist but MAY have been a small minority of statements made. Similarly, the people included from Harlem MAY not represent the majority opinions.

As I understand it, the problem of implementing new Voter ID laws center on restricting the kinds of valid ID for voter registration. One of the purported problems is that in very rural areas, people may not have birth certificates as many people were not born in hospitals. Furthermore, living in very rural areas, there is not a large need for state or federal IDs. Getting those ID's requires extensive travel and associated costs that may turn people away from trying. Another aspect is what to do about college students and where their residency is. College residency is an interesting question for sure...

6. Horseplay

The argument about rural folk without birth certificates is beyond dated. It is referencing people born in the 30's and 40's. I think 75 years is adequate time to expect they could get an ID. And rural people need an ID just like you and I to open a bank account or board a plane or a hundred other things they do routinely. Hell, rural people have an absolute need to drive which requires...a photo ID known as a drivers license. Extensive travel to obtain an ID? Like a car ride to the nearest town with a DMV? I'd wager it no more than a few hours max...which they almost certainly would trek occasionally to buy needed goods, etc. I grew up in what many would consider rural conditions and everyone I knew managed to get a drivers license when of age. My grandparents included. This is a BS argument.

College student solution is pretty damn simple. They can either register in their home districts or where they go to school. They just need a current government ID to show residency for whichever locale they select. Absentee balloting makes voting at school easy and should eliminate any talk about disenfranchised students. Two years between election cycles is adequate time for even the laziest to get things in order in time.

I fall back to my most basic of arguments here. If a person is inspired enough to want to vote they have more than enough means to do so. A person who can't find the time or minimal amount of money to get an ID over the course of years doesn't seem to interested, if you ask me. Those who argue that every citizen has a right to vote miss the point that it is up to that individual to make sure they have taken the steps necessary to exercise that right. Getting an ID kind of pales compared to the obstacles the framers of our Constitution overcame when this nation was founded.

RapidRabbit and msell66 like this.
  7. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

I agree with all of the above. In the video they asked a bunch of inexperienced college kids that have been indoctrinated by liberal professors. They just parrot what the libs say. We had to get a birth certificate for my mother-in-law about ten years ago. She was born at home in Alabama in 1918. It took several weeks but it wasn't that difficult. The Dems try to stack the elections by getting illegals and other unqualified people to vote. They hire an organization that will pay these people and even bus them across state lines to vote. They try to hit precincts where they think they can influence the outcome. This is illegal activity of course, but very difficult to track down and stop.

8. turq66

turq66 Well-Known Member

Then how did you track it down?
    If photo IDs are to be required to vote then photo IDs should be issued to everyone by each state's Election Commission free of charge.

9. msell66

Ain't nuth'n free.

Find someone that doesn't already have an I.D. My bet is that it's a considerably smaller number than the people that don't even bother to vote.

You can't do anything legal without an I.D. Even drunks carry I.D's. I'd wager homeless Joe has one too.

10. jims6t6

jims6t6 Well-Known Member

Very true 70 years ago. not so much now.

11. msell66

Yeah, back when Mid was in his early 40’s.

12. Midlife

You kids....get off my damn lawn!

msell66 likes this.
  13. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

We emailed the appropriate state entity, explained the situation and they took care of it. There was some back and forth, but nothing out of the ordinary. Occasionally government works.
    OK, so taxes go up an appropriate amount and we are assured of less voter fraud- I've got no problem with that, and I doubt other conservatives do either.

14. Midlife

Well hell. Why isn't there a uniform ID for US citizens? Ask your conservative colleagues about mandating that for the Feds. Sounds like a good idea to me, yet the conservatives cite "gubbermint intrusion".

15. msell66

They already have one. Driver’s license.

16. Horseplay

There are new Federal guidelines for state issued drivers licenses to enable them to be considered valid for such things as airport security. This is the first step toward a common, Federally designated ID for all. Most states new licenses comply a few don't and starting next year citizens of those states will not be able to use their state issued IDs to fly anymore. Where is the Left on that one? Oh, it came to be under Obama by the way. How are minorities in those states supposed to fly? Isn't having to get a passport too much of a burden? See the hypocrisy yet?

msell66 likes this.
  17. Horseplay

There is no shortage of voter fraud. It has been uncovered and proven time and again. It is not a myth nor a fabrication. It exists in many forms. It is not the millions of illegals the idiot on Pennsylvania Avenue talks about but the tens or maybe hundreds that cross into other districts and states that are well managed to swing tight races, etc. The polling place workers who cast ballots for persons on their voter logs that haven't shown up to cast their own. All this is well documented and charges have been brought, cases tried and persons convicted. It doesn't take much. Trump won some state contests by the tiniest of margins, for example. Many races are decided by less than a hundred votes.

Many states do offer free IDs. Some even have programs to get people to places to receive such for free. It's complete BS to claim someone cannot scrape together $10 or so for an ID they also need to open a bank account, rent an apartment, board a plane, or any other routine function we all do every day of our lives. It's a total fabrication of the Left's imagination that people do not have ID or access to one. Maybe the Left could use the same buses and personal shuttles they do every election cycle in the big cities to get those immobile impoverished folk to the polls earlier in the process and transport them to the damn DMV for their free IDs!

Voter ID laws are not discriminatory. Not by race, not by anything. Unless you consider preventing persons unqualified to vote from voting discrimination. The next election cycle is 11 months away. Everyone who needs an ID has that long to find the $10 or so and maybe a ride to the DMV so they can secure that picture ID they need. Does that sound the least bit daunting to anyone? Really?

18. Midlife

Ummm...there are plenty of folks who don't have driver's licenses: the old, the blind, etc. Can they get the equivalent of a driver's license? Of course. But driver's licenses are issued by the State, not by the Feds. I can still obtain multiple driver's licenses if I am crafty about it. Plus, they are easily forged (ask any bar bouncer).

19. Horseplay

Voter ID can be any state issued picture ID as most laws are written. That means drivers license or simple state ID. The Feds made guidelines that the state issued IDs needed to meet to be considered valid for domestic air travel. Pretty sure that was clear the first time I wrote it. Sorry I failed to include state IDs as well. Thought that was obvious.

I would bet you that virtually all those older or blind people have ID. And no they are not easily forged. At all. Multiple holograms, etc. That was the whole point of the Fed guidelines as an attempt to eliminate forgeries and give the TSA (and others) a uniform ID so they could be better equipped to spot attempts at fakes.