• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vulcan 1968 SOHC 427 Mustang

GPR

I started this as an Eleanor project a few years ago and stopped working on it and decided to sell and finish the project the way the customer wants.

This is how Vulcan will be built:

Robert Pond SOHC 427 +++ cubic inch block
Hilborn EFI
TKO 600 5 speed
Strange 9

I will start back in the beginning when we were building an Eleanor for the first customer.

This is what we started with back on 12/05

03.jpg

Rod & Custom front suspension that I would later use on my 1968 Coupe project

33.jpg

All the sheetmetal was removed and the skeleton was stripped to bare metal and epoxy primed and we took it to a car show 10/06.

73.jpg

This had been a slow build because of lack of funds so the owner sold it back to me and it had been sitting until 1/09

75.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not happy with the way the end caps or taillight panel fit from the original Eleanor kit so I ordered new end caps and taillight panel from Mustangs to Fear. The fit was good except now the deck lid did not line up.

161.jpg

We cut the end of the deck lid off and lowered it

164.jpg

166.jpg

175.jpg

We mini tubbed but did not narrow the frame rail.

153.jpg

Made the brake scoops functional

178.jpg

168.jpg

183.jpg

Now you are caught up how the car looks now after being in storage for a couple of years.

The first thing we did was order a lot of parts.

26_zpsf046ea6a.jpg

25_zps974facbf.jpg

18_zpsf86a9a27.jpg

16_zpsec297070.jpg

15_zps20881bd0.jpg

38_zpsaf5f6495.jpg

41_zpsf4d24808.jpg

I have never seen a rear housing packaged like this Fab 9 before

34_zps44f63122.jpg

35_zps864a19f2.jpg

36_zpsa1ba0ca5.jpg

37_zps0ee8ea1a.jpg

We had installed subframe connectors along time ago and since we were going with Total Control rear suspension we decided to cut them off.

19_zpsea77b781.jpg

Brian welded in the TCP subframe connectors

20_zpsd3ad9878.jpg

21_zps43dcaf9d.jpg

22_zpsa13dd0c8.jpg

23_zps947fec67.jpg

Center brace bolted in place

24_zps06b03be5.jpg

Sprayed two coats of SPI black epoxy on the Fab 9 housing

When we did the rust repair years ago the A pillar was not available. There were a few pits in the pillar so Brian decided to replace both of them. We did not feel right about giving it to the customer this way so we are fixing it at our expense.

The welds still need to be ground

This project was on hold for a few years and the owner has decided on a few changes. I'm sorry to say he has decided not to go with the SOHC but is going with an aluminum FE just not sure how big it will be yet. We will also be doing a few modifications to the body.

It is out of storage and back in the fab shop.

DSCN3548_zpsfvmv961j.jpg

The first thing Brian did was finish lining up the sheetmetal

DSCN3569_zps8frpr6hf.jpg

Starting to install the Mustang to Fear gas filler kit.

DSCN3603_zpsjytmq8ah.jpg

DSCN3607_zpsvnvprfmz.jpg

DSCN3610_zps6zvywiyb.jpg

Welded in place and the welds ground

DSCN3612_zpsd9qx0nws.jpg

DSCN3614_zpsimnzcmvn.jpg

The owner decided he didn't what the Shelby/Eleanor taillight panel that was installed before he bought the car. Brian had the fun job of cutting off the fiberglass taillight panel and end caps.

DSCN3827_zpsnlwmsr2r.jpg

We bought another taillight panel to cut out the stock taillights.

DSCN3860_zpskddorxzq.jpg

DSCN3863_zps9bcm407y.jpg

After a lot of measuring and Brian standing back looking at them to make sure they were straight he welded them in place.

DSCN3880_zpsfql91oon.jpg

DSCN3883_zpsn3crwydn.jpg

Since we have a side gas filler we decided to do away with the original one.

DSCN3889_zpszmyryzbs.jpg

Brian cut out a section of the new taillight panel and welded it in place.

DSCN3892_zpscni51fba.jpg

DSCN3895_zps0aykpzev.jpg

After a little grinding

DSCN3903_zpshwwcimbv.jpg

DSCN3906_zpsjuf3btb6.jpg

Stay tuned for more modifications to the rear in the future.

love those welds!
Me too!
REQUEST: Can you post another shot of the filler panel used to replace the void left by removing the gas filler. I want to see the backside of Brian's welded in panel. Interested in seeing how the reverse side looks when finished. No one ever shows that side of the work and as a guy trying to learn the craft it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Brian finished grinding the right side.

DSCN3913_zpslwsjjyv1.jpg

Carriage bolts were welded to the taillight panel and ground down to hold the taillights

DSCN3915_zpsmhnkqgby.jpg

DSCN3917_zpsvl9adzfq.jpg

He still has to finish the right side. He bolted it together and tack welded the carriage bolts removed the taillights and finished welding both sides. This is how they look before he grinds them down and weld them one more time before the final grinding.

DSCN3921_zpsmfbkfgx4.jpg

Back