• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Waking up the sleeping motor

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I want to hand turn the Cleveland's crank. Beside lightly wiping the exposed cylinder walls down with ATF, is there anything I should do? I'd prefer to not dump too much oil in insides of the block at this point but just want to make sure the crank does infact turn.

daveSanborn

Is the oil pan still on the engine?

Is there oil in the pan?

If so, ratchet on the harmonic balancer bolt and spin away.

If the oil pan is removed, flip the motor over and squirt some oil on all of the bearings.... and then spin away.

Distributor installed? Pull it and hook up an extension to connect it to your hand held drill (remember it's CCW).

You could also temporarily insert an oil pump driveshaft into the distributorless opening and accomplish the same as above.

It's not really going to hurt anything to turn it over a couple of times "dry" unless it's been buried in the sand.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
No Pan, no dizzy, no pump, no nada as seen below. I'll turn it over and lightly oil the bearings. Is ATF the correct thing to use on the cylinder walls? Just use normal automotive oil on the bearings?

4_15_08_09_4_31_27.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

daveSanborn

Craig,

A turkey baster lathered in oil will make quick work of the cylinder walls.

Flip her over and squirt each rod & main bearing with regular old motor oil.

Thread a bolt into the front snout of the crankshaft and using a ratchet she should spin over quite easily........