• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Waterpump ?

RustyRed

I took my car over to "Nifty Fifties" this past Saturday evening. It's a bit of a drive (about 30 miles round trip) but it was worth it, pretty much all back road driving for me with no freeway so I figured what the heck. There are tons of cars there of every make and model you can imagine but nothing newer than '79 allowed in.

On the way back as we got near home I started hearing a noise a few times that sounded like a bad belt basically. Can't really describe the noise exactly.

My car started getting warm when I was stopped at lights but did fine running down the road.

When we installed my new motor the engine guy had put the wrong water pump on it because he asked for a 302 water pump instead of one specific to a '66 Mustang so my water pump is not new...not even really sure how old it is exactly.

I am thinking of buying a new one but should I go with the increased flow unit that Summit has for sale?

Thinking it might not be a bad idea since I am running a mild cam, etc. The car tends to run a bit warm when you are not going down the road in general but it was particularly bad this past Saturday.

And just so I don't see the "didn't happen without pictures" thing...I've attached a picture of the car meet.

I am thinking of buying a new one but should I go with the increased flow unit that Summit has for sale?

I somehow missed this post. Sorry.

If it were me I'd use a standard water pump. You really shouldn't need more than usual water flow.

If I ever have to change my pump it's gonna be to an increased flow pump. I don't think it will hurt at all. I can't keep my car from creeping up to 210-215 while sitting at idle on a warm day and I'd really like to resolve that. If I ever have to change the pump I'll also add an aluminum cross flow radiator.

If I ever have to change my pump it's gonna be to an increased flow pump.

Are you sure this would resolve your problem?

When you increase coolant flow through the engine you also increase coolant flow through the radiator. By design, the longer that coolant is outside of the heat generating engine, the longer it has to "cool off" before re-entering the engine to absorb more heat. Increasing the coolant flow may not allow the coolant outside of the engine enough time to benefit from running through the radiator and you'll only keep re-circulating hotter and hotter coolant.

Capish?

"daveSanborn" said:
Are you sure this would resolve your problem?

Nope. I did say I would add an aluminum radiator along with that. My point is the stock wp with flex fan and shroud is not doing what I want. Could it possibly be that at idle water is moving a little too slowly through the engine to properly cool it? I don't know. Personally I think the biggest problem is the radiator setup itself. On these early cars you are really limited to putting a larger radiator in without some modifications. Aluminum options are very limited also. Bottom line is I can't get where I want and will have to look at other options.

Back