• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What are you doing for anti-theft?

Considering this:
911 Tracker $299 + subscription
www.911tracker.com

Interesting alternative to the more common noise making alarm systems that are almost universally ignored these days. Even more interesting is the google map image on their website used to demonstrate the tracking feature depicts streets in my neighborhood! A quick check of their corporate offices reveals the company is less than a mile from my home.

My car is pretty well armed to the teeth... multiple kill switches, a GPS alarm system, hood lock, manual transmission, grumpy and difficult on the best of days.

The manual transmission and the grumpiness (and the conspicuousness of the car) are probably the main things that prevent theft, honestly. But I leave my car in a lot of sketchy places and it provides some peace of mind.

That 911tracker unit is pretty cool looking! My Viper system has a siren hooked to it but it also texts me if anything is going wrong with the car and shows me a map with location and speed if necessary. Mostly it just tells me when the battery is getting low when I inevitably leave my lights on...

My car is pretty well armed to the teeth... multiple kill switches, a GPS alarm system, hood lock, manual transmission, grumpy and difficult on the best of days.

The manual transmission and the grumpiness (and the conspicuousness of the car) are probably the main things that prevent theft, honestly. But I leave my car in a lot of sketchy places and it provides some peace of mind.

That 911tracker unit is pretty cool looking! My Viper system has a siren hooked to it but it also texts me if anything is going wrong with the car and shows me a map with location and speed if necessary. Mostly it just tells me when the battery is getting low when I inevitably leave my lights on...

That's impressive! Why a Viper and 911 Tracker? Am I correct that the 911 is the GPS?
BTW I've always liked that picture of you and Jane. So remind us what you're taking in grad school and how is it going?

That's impressive! Why a Viper and 911 Tracker? Am I correct that the 911 is the GPS?
BTW I've always liked that picture of you and Jane. So remind us what you're taking in grad school and how is it going?

To clarify, I don't have the 911Tracker, just the Viper GPS system :) I have it because it lets me keep an eye on my car from afar - I don't mean from across the parking lot, I mean like when I have to leave her in a heavily trafficked parking lot for days while I am out back country hiking. I would never hear the siren from miles away, obviously, but a text message will get through and I can then call local law enforcement and have them check up if necessary. I've never had it happen but a classic car sitting in a somewhat remote parking lot for days on end is just an invitation for some people to mess with it. Better safe than sorry since I don't care for my car like a good responsible classic car owner! ;)

Appreciate the compliment - it is by far my favorite picture that's ever been taken of me! I'm currently at UT for a Master's in Geology. I'm headed out for fieldwork at the end of next week, so I'll let you know how it's going after that ;) I assume things are going well but you never know with research... ha!

Appreciate the compliment - it is by far my favorite picture that's ever been taken of me! I'm currently at UT for a Master's in Geology. I'm headed out for fieldwork at the end of next week, so I'll let you know how it's going after that ;) I assume things are going well but you never know with research... ha!
Geology?!? Didn't you know geology is like the Kardashians of science?! ;)

Geology?!? Didn't you know geology is like the Kardashians of science?! ;)

I'm going to assume that you meant Kardashian-like in that it's a sexy science with a nice bod, not in that it's incredibly annoying and useless and crops up everywhere somehow... ;) It would be nice if it made me rich too...

I'm going to assume that you meant Kardashian-like in that it's a sexy science with a nice bod, not in that it's incredibly annoying and useless and crops up everywhere somehow... ;) It would be nice if it made me rich too...
Nah, that's psychology. Prized major of Starbucks employees.

Kelly, not a fan of the show "The Big Bang Theory" I take it?

Kelly, not a fan of the show "The Big Bang Theory" I take it?

Omg bahaha never seen that clip before!

I rest easy knowing that geologists are needed for anything involving the ground beneath our feet... construction, water work, oil, coal, rare earth, any mineral resource... secretly the other scientists must be jealous of us! ;)

Omg bahaha never seen that clip before!

I rest easy knowing that geologists are needed for anything involving the ground beneath our feet... construction, water work, oil, coal, rare earth, any mineral resource... secretly the other scientists must be jealous of us! ;)
Sheldon Cooper's remarks towards Geologists and geology in general are the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. As you have probably figured out by now, on here everyone gets picked on!

BTW, as you probably figured out my smart ass (but joking), comment was towards geology and not you personally. I would NEVER insult any woman by comparing her to ANY of the Kardashians!! ;)

Ha! Of course I'm not offended :) I just lack any information about your profession so I can't fire back... :p I call unfair advantage, your honor!

Geology is the hand-maiden to Geophysics, which I have a degree in. Nothing wrong with good looking rocks!

Yeah, well, my dad says I'm as dumb as a box of rocks.
But he didn't say you were good looking.
157c007cb0326e439a335cc15ac997c2.jpg

Back