• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

what do you have to do?

RustyRed

I spotted another 2nd generation T/A with T-tops...

Trick is the guy is in Austin.

I checked with him thinking I could take Friday off but he already sold it, had it this morning and wrote back just a bit ago that it's gone. Must have been in pretty good shape for that price but seemed like a deal to me.

What do you have to do to find one of these cars that isn't an overpriced piece of crap like the one local I looked at a couple of weeks ago, or ones that people want a small fortune for...commit murder?

Just be faster than the next guy....... When it sounds good, ya gotta be there with the money in hand. When I sold my last '66, there was a woman call me three or so days later and had the cash in hand. She waited over the weekend to call me....the very same weekend I sold it.

I figured Friday would be soon enough. I've seen some of these cars in this market sit out there for weeks or even months before selling. Not this one, he put the ad out yesterday and gone today...the lucky bastard. Austin is a couple hundred miles from me and the earliest I could've made it was Friday. Probably a hell of a deal for $4k

There was another decent one in San Antonio that looked like a beater I could fix up over time but when I spotted it I was too busy at work and home to take a road trip. He sold it.

The local one I looked at I might have considered paying $2,000 for but the guy wanted $5k and it was in sad shape.

Most of the rest...the people want pushing $20k. Thanks but I'll pass.

Not looking for the expensive show car but not looking for something I have to replace everything on either.

Just a car that runs that I can fix up little by little over several years while using it as a beater between fix up projects.

Probably just going to have to be lucky and be in the right spot at the right time.

I'd do the same for a fox body if I had the room. There's been a ton of them for sell around here for pretty good deals.

I saw a nice 2001 convertible Mustang the other day that seemed like a good deal.

Kicked around buying it so the boys could drive it when they get older (they were born in 2001). I asked them and Ben (my little car guy) said he wanted a 2005 through 2009 body style....sad a 9 year old would know that huh? LOL!

I've got several years yet before I have to worry about them driving anyway but my plan is to get something that needs work a few years before they can drive (when they are about 14 or 15) and make them help me fix it up. My thinking being if they invest the blood, sweat and tears plus they will realize what parts cost they might be less likely to tear it up and respect it more.

Back