• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What funds are in your IRA?

monkeystash

It's time to get serious about saving for retirement, and I want to maximize the Roth. Vanguard index funds seem to be a favorite of many, what do you guys like? Thanks.

"lethal289" said:
All that info, was nearly 90 years ago, are they still around?
90 years ago?

I pretty sure they were active well into the eighties.

You should hit up Darreld (68EFIvert), he is an investment guy by trade, think he mentioned hanging up a shingle and going out on his own..

Honestly? I'm in cash right now (money market) I had some changes that started right around the time the market started failing, and had to move from one holding company to another. I now have a financial planner, and when I moved the money over, he said "Let's just keep it in cash."

I was like "uhh, aren't you supposed to stay in the market for the long haul, and dollar cost average etc?" he said "Yes...but the one thing I hate doing is telling my clients to buy things I know will go down. Pretty much, everything in the market right now is going to go down...but your cash won't lose value except for the inflation of your dollars." So I said, OK fine, and watched all my friends lose half (or more) of their retirement. My retirement is currently meager...but it stayed put. He said we'll start buying funds later this year, but he said this fire's not put out yet, so why jump back in?

Guy has saved me a ton so far...so I trust him.

Steve

I agree with Steve, thats where mine is now as well. Been itching to get back in, but the market is still bouncing around to much.

"monkeystash" said:
Wow, great investment info guys. :2guns

Wow is right, investment advice is something that IMHO is something that should be taken very seriously. The fund you speak of Vangaurds Index funds have good track records and as matter of fact I do invest a portion of my IRA in there Index 500 fund and have been as pleased as can be expected in todays current economic state.

I however WOULD strongly advise you to do your research on a number of options and go with what you find suits you the best. Over the years has seemed to me the people with the tendenacy to recomend such things almost always recomend what they have etc, there are so many options out there that you should start looking at investments as your contiuing education. Read everything you can get your hands on, take some of the time your would use reading car mags and read Forbes and such, listen to some of the differnt advisors on radio and TV but after you have spent a reasonable ammount of time than make your decsions.

One of the things that most of our parents and schooling has overlooked is how to set yourself up for your future and the truth is the only one who can really make the correct choice for you is you.

JMHO

Thanks guys, all good info. Mark, I've been reading and researching like crazy recently (Just finished Jim Cramer Stay mad for life), and he strongly recommended the S&P 500 index funds. Like you mentioned, the Vanguard Index 500 fund is currently my top choice, as the fees are 0, and the expense ratio is super low, .18%. Actually, Cramer prefers straight stocks, but says if you don't have the time to stay on top of them, it's almost impossible to beat a S&P index fund. I don't want to work past 60, so supplementing the 401K with a Roth is just a no-brainer.

Glad your doing lots of research, I personally not the biggest Crammer fan but he does repersent another viewpoint. I hope you have checked out Bob Brinker, listen too them all Have you read Rich Dad Poor Dad yet? Next you have to start some sort of self employment and take advanctage of the new account simular to an IRA which allow you to save additional 11k per year in addition to your reg or Roth IRA.

Yeah, Cramer is a bit intense, to say the least. I'll check out your other recommendations too, thanks. Unfortunately, there are so many opinions, and so many options. I'm trying to take it all in and steer myself in the right direction.

Back