• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What size fuel line?

68EFIvert

I am redoing my engine and should have between 525-550 rwhp when it is back together. I will be swapping out my fuel pump to an Aeromotive A1000 which should be plenty for my needs. I am using 3/8" fuel line and think I should move on up to 1/2" (8AN) for the new engine. I would use the existing 3/8" (6AN) feed line as my return line. The other option is to leave it as it is. Do you guys think that 3/8" would be sufficient to support my engine?

One last thing, does anyone know if there is a sending unit with a 1/2" outlet instead of the standard 3/8"?

For those who may not know my engine is fuel injected and blown if that makes a difference.

With that much horsepower I would expect you will need a 1/2 inch line.

The cars I see with super modified engines always have custom fuel cells and a corresponding sender in them.

You're pushing the limits of a 6AN fuel line, but 6AN probably could handle it. However, with the cash you're spending on the new power plant, you might as well pony up a few more bucks and install an 8AN fuel line.

When are you expecting delivery of the new engine?

To upgrade the fuel system is only another $130 in hose, line and AN fittings. Since I have gone this far this falls into "might as well do that". I was over at my engine guys place a few minutes ago. I had to deliver my new TFS 190 FAC heads to him. The engine is balanced and we are only waiting for the Jay Allen cam to arrive. That should be in the next week. I hope to have it in my possession by Christmas.

I still have a lot of work to do in prep for the engine. I need to find a place to mount the Methanol/water injection system. I think I have that covered though. I had to move the alternator from the passenger side low to above the drivers side. I made a bracket for it and modified my March PS bracket to fit. Looks pretty sweet and the best part I was able to ditch the tensioner pulley. I'll snap a few pictures of it before I drop it in. I am really excited! :ecit

Darreld,

Did you end up keeping the Meziere that you had? I would like to see the alt relocatation pix. Any pictures of the heads?

I ended up selling the pump on ebay and made more than what I was asking for on Corral. I ended up buying a new black pump with the idler pulley from Summit. I used the 10% off code that is floating around MustangForums.com. I assembled the belt system on my old engine and then took it apart. I am going to be using the timing cover on the new engine. I pretty much have all the parts of the engine at the builder. With any luck I'll get the cam early in the week and he should be able to assembly it in a few days after that.

I'll post some pictures when I bring the engine home. May be here by Xmas if I am lucky.

I used the same 10% off code tonight to order the stuff for the new fuel system. I will have a bunch of AN fittings on the car. I am using them for everyting, even coolant hoses. Should look pretty trick and be easy to maintain. No more stupid clamps for me!

Back