• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What temperature setting for electric fan?

What temperature setting for an electric fan would be good? If it is a two speed fan would 195/210 F be ok? Or would you need something more along the lines of 180/ 195 f?

I have mine set to come on around 195/200 and go off at 165 IIRC, it's a pusher and I have the temp probe in the top left corner of the radiator. I also run a mechanical puller fan. I have a 429 stuffed in a 67 and it doesn't run hot even in very hot weather in traffic. I also run only 15% antifreeze and "water wetter". Water is a better coolant than antifreeze.

very interesting. I have a 351c dropped in the car right now. I believe a have a couple 195/210 temp switches I was going to use. It sounds like that should be ok if you have a 195/200 set up.

I just went back in my notes because I couldn't be sure what I had. It turns out I have it set to come on at 185 and off at 165. Sorry for the confusion.

Haven't mounted it yet. But I was thinking of finding a plug I could use on the head or the intake manifold to mount my sensor. What are your thoughts?

any recommended spots on a 351c head? The thermostat housing I have doesn't have a spot for any sensors. Although, I'm sure I can do some research and locate one. Maybe off a 351M?

Again,why electric? I run a stock 180 stat on my Cleveland with a Northern Alum radiator and have no problem. I honestly feel you are creating issues which could be avoided.

Very likely I am. I just almost chopped my hand off in my friends mechanical fan years ago in his Nova and have always been one to steer away. I figure all newer cars are electric fans, and looking at the prices it would come out to about the same. I can get electric fan parts at the junk yard where as finding parts for classics has proved difficult. So I picked up an electric fan and shroud that fit the radiator perfectly and I bought a spare as well just in case one dies out. Through the motor in the trunk and if the fan ever died I can repair it if I am not close enough to tow it home. May be a regret, but its my first choice and what my guts telling me to do on this one. I can always turn back to a mechanical fan if it doesn't work out, but I guess I will live and learn :hs

Back