• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What the Hell Happened to MF?

A

Anonymous

I cannot use that site. Its impossible. I keep getting hung up and the site keeps glitching and its slower then it was before. This is not an improvement. What the hell do those guys think they are doing? I wanted a site that was easier to use and now its worse. Damn!

It's the blind leading the blind over there. MustangForums is primarily a late model forum. As a sub, sub-section (of which Mustang II's are a further sub, sub, sub-section), there lies a Classics section.

Because the website is so popular with the late model crowd, if you type "mustang forum" into a search engine, their website sits at the top of the page.

There are some quality posters over there. Nick frequents there, I've seen Doug Ford post a couple times, but it's mostly a rather large crowd of the blind leading the blind. Insane topics such as a couple I responded to earlier today are frequent. "I'm going to buy a 429 CobraJet motor out of a '77 F250, is there anything special I should look for? Will it fit in my '69?" The only response to this question was from another idiot (I won't mention his name here) that stated that it was a "performance motor" and he'd bought one for himself for a mere $70. There was another couple of guys discussing the infamous 1969 GT MACH 1 Fastback and how things with the car didn't seem to match the Marti report and what the PO had told them.

If you want a good laugh, checkout the site and read some of the threads. If you think you can actually help over there, forget about it. I've been trying for months and it would take a combined effort from all of us to convince those guys that they're only screwing themselves by staying there.

They are just one more source of info if you guys refuse to talk. No David not you. You will talk to anyone but some of you just dont love me. ;)

Dave. I genuinely bought a 429 thunderjet motor, including a complete tbird for $70. Here are pics of it. Only reason I paid $70 was cause IT was going to cost the guy $70 to transfer title to his name in order to even get it out of his driveway... a scrapper wouldnt even take it without the title... and he only bought it for the fenders because he was restoring another 71 and needed fenders, therefore, they are the only thng missing. i kept the 9inch, 429, and c6, and scrapped the car for $250. and i didnt say it was a performance motor, I said it CAN be a powerhouse, but certainly not out of a F250... don't insult me by putting words in my mouth.. I told the guy, same as you, that it was a ripoff and he was wasting his time and money.

dsc00052rs7.jpg

dsc00048tn8.jpg

dsc00049mj9.jpg

dsc00050li0.jpg

dsc00051lq1.jpg

And if you still don't believe me, here is my first car, my 67 mustang parked in damn near the same spot.

pic00080fk2.jpg

pic00082yp8.jpg

And here is my 70 with the same trailer and same black 01 f-150 as posted in the pics of the tbird.

img4071wj6.jpg

And HERE is my current two, the 70 and the 66, next to my 01 f150.

img3577dc7.jpg

But yeah I totally see why you don't believe me when I say I bought t for $70.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Waffles, I'm not here to argue with you or "put words in your mouth". You stated you paid $70 for a '71 429 Thunderjet motor. Fine, whatever.

The car you've pictured is a '72+ body style and here are the specs on the '72 motor...

429 Cubic Inch V-8 Engine (212 Net Horsepower)
4-Barrel Motorcraft Carburetor/Single Exhaust System
Bore 4.36" x Stroke 3.59"/8.5:1 Compression Ratio

When did I ever say anything about not believing you? Where the heck are you going with this?

Ahh, whatever I don't know shit about tbirds anyway, it probably was a 72, let me dg up the copy i made of the title.

1972 was at the beginning of the swingin' seventies, when a new sound called disco was first being heard, and almost everything was getting bigger: our hairdos, waistlines, and automobiles. And so it was with the 1972 Thunderbird. Just about ready to give up any claim to being a sporty vehicle, the big, bold, new Thunderbird was brand new from front to rear. The same 429 Thunderjet V-8 engine that had powered the Bird since 1968 returned, but was now joined by a larger optional engine, the 460 V-8 from Lincoln. The sales brochure listed a 2-barrel 400 V-8 engine as standard equipment and the 429 as an option, but it's not believed that any were ever actually built with the 400 engine.

-Automotivemileposts.com

When I read some of the deals you'd gotten on mustangs in the past, I had a hard time believing it, but I DID.

All I'm saying is that there is no incentive to me to lie about a purchase at a certain price... I stand nothing to gain from that.

The only response to this question was from another idiot (I won't mention his name here) that stated that it was a "performance motor" and he'd bought one for himself for a mere $70

So... you believe me, but I'm an idiot? and you DO put words in my mouth by saying that I said it was a performance motor. What I said was

I found a running one here in a 71 t bird, and the whole car cost me $70. lol. they're out there.

Most Thunderbirds and LTDs had 429s or 460s in them

I don't think f250s had cobra jets? and the t birds asnd ltd will have thunderjets, in most cases..

and almost all your accessory brackets will need changed as they are typically attached to the sidewalls and fiirewall on a tbird or LTD, new motor mounts, and a c6 at least, if ur looking for an auto.

and

you just need big block motor mounts.. they should attatch just like small block ones... but theyre... bigger..

if its running, its not worth $700.... if its recently REBUILT, it might be. a stock 429, while a wicked powerplant, cant hold a candle to a well built small block... it weighs a ton more.

the swap will be expensive, for all accessories and bracketry... if I were you I'd reconsider.

And a 429 IS a wicked powerplant... in a t bird or ltd, among other mid size cars, it can really move, especially if built right. don't think many people would disagree with that. Coming out of a f250 its clear itll be a torque monster but never perform like he think it will.

So where did I say it was a performance motor? But yet I am an idiot... and clearly lying about paying $70 for one.

Me thinks good ol Dave stuck his foot in it. LOL Way to go waffles. Some of us have a big head that needs to be deflated once in a while. Me next. :D

Well if it IS a 1972, then yeah, it is about 210.. I guess it's better than gross? :D Because the engine returned doesn't mean it was the same. Look at the 351 from the 60's to 73.

Back