• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to do with old 289

Hi all

So I've swapped my tired 289 for a Blueprint 302 (306) crate. Couldn't be happier.

What have those who have done swaps, done with their old engines? I need ideas! All the work I've done on my '65 I've kept all the oem parts in my garage in boxes.

I'm thinking of draining, stripping down and cleaning out the 289 so it's lighter and then convert it to a coffee table perhaps or something but would welcome any tips for those who have done this.

It was a C Code so don't worry, not much value there.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Gut the motor of its internals , paint the block and put on some things , like a orignal 4V manifold , 4V autolite carb and aircleaner, correct exhaust manifolds , so it looks like a "K-code" engine for your mancave ??

Put the engine on eBay, Craigslist, etc. particularly if it has only been bored out to 0.030 or hasn't been touched. Surely someone will want it, as the 289's are beginning to become scarce.

Put the engine on eBay, Craigslist, etc. particularly if it has only been bored out to 0.030 or hasn't been touched. Surely someone will want it, as the 289's are beginning to become scarce.
No no I'm not selling. I want to keep it, whoever buys the car in the future, if ever, will get the original engine with it and everything else.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

No no I'm not selling. I want to keep it, whoever buys the car in the future, if ever, will get the original engine with it and everything else.
As Randy said, if a good rebuildable block by all means preserve it. Do it right and disassemble it completely. Clean all the parts and coat them in an oil to prevent any corrosion. While at it, take a measurement of the bore to determine if it has been overbore already. If it has it's likely a paperweight so not worth storing.

Back