• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to do with two old Ford radios.

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I was cleaning up the garage yesterday and came across two old Ford radios that I had acquired over the years. One was for my 83 Bronco and the other was for, I believe, a 73 Mercury Montego. I think they both work. In fact the Montego radio was in a plastic bag. My late step father had probably bought it for his 73 Montego Brougham Coupe and never installed it. It is an AM/FM unit the sliding selector bar that says "STEREO" and the little sliding balance tab under the black station setting buttons. It even still has the original Ford rubber coated one way bullet connectors on the back. I actually purchased the 83 radio from a wrecking yard to replace the failed unit in my 83 Bronco XLT. My teen age daughter was using the Bronco as her daily driver at the time and she bought a state of the art car stereo with a removable face, etc. to go into the Bronco, making this one excess. Like the 73 "two knob" radio, it has both the factory plugs and the harness sides of same. It features an integral cassette player and digital display clock/frequency indicator. My problem is that I don't know what to do with these radios. I believe they both still work but I don't think they are worth much. It's just that I don't want to keep them cluttering up my shop and I don't really want to just throw them in the trash or drop them off at an electronics recycle center. I'm sure someone restoring a Montego or Torino would love to have the older one. The "newer" one is still 30 years old and probably hard to come by for somebody restoring a deluxe interior Bronco or F series truck of that vintage. I think that radio was used into the very late 80s or early 90s. I learned my lesson when I got sand blasted by the local Mustang shop owner when he found out I'd thrown the front drums and spindles from my 69 vert into the dumpster when I converted it to discs. Any suggestions of how to responsibly and respectfully dispose of these two old pieces?

Yeah, I looked at e-bay. I suppose that would be the responsible thing to do. These old guys are too nice to trash.

Craigslist.org

EBay charges too much to be worth it plus you gotta box them and ship them
Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I just sold my 00 Z28 about a month ago through the Gold Country Craig's List and it got responses from lots of other areas in the Valley and around the Bay. The only drawback is that you have to meet in a neutral public location for the test drive and you have to be armed. Some unfortunate war stories about people being robbed and worse by CL responders. Sold my 04 Safari van two weeks later via Cargurus.com, but I went armed to that meeting too. Both buyers were great people and cash customers. The first time I had the Camaro up for sale on CL I was getting lots of interest from people with a 510 area code (Oakland/East Bay) with handles like Silky Smooth. I passed on those. Have to admit, though, this isn't unique to CL. Anyone who remembers Leonard Lake and Charlie Ng knows that the Bay Area is a dangerous place to advertise things for sale.

Last edited:
Not really. I put Midlife up on CL in the major cities within 400 miles of where I am located. I think there were about 10 separate listings.

My point is, for a car radio that's easy to ship and has more limited interest, eBay is a better choice than Craigslist.

The montego radio w/ slidebar should fit in 67 up mustangs? I just purchased a slidebar radio off ebay for 19.00 bucks, just to fill the hole in the dash. It was still in the original box with all packaging. It cost 16 bucks to ship!

They make good shop radios with a nice man cave/car guy look. Either installed into a cabinet or a tool box. When I worked at FOMCO assembly plant, it wasn't unusual to see guys snag blemished radios or those that might have an issue like the cassette not working for use at their work stations. It wasn't something officially condoned but no one seemed to complain. I have one that I am thinking about installing in a mechanics box with a couple side mount speakers.

Back