• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to look out for buying a Short Block

crzipilot

One of my first post's here.

Was planning on buying a rotating assembly or looking for a crate engine, as I have a block but needs to be gone through etc etc.....

Well came across a guy selling a short block, never fired, CHP I believe.

Forged Probe internals, he will let it go for 1200.

Problem is, I really wasn't in the position or really looking for an engine at this point, but it seems like this price is quite good. So what should I look out for, or find out from the seller?

Flat top pistions, Trick flow Stage 1 cam. .499 intake / .510 exhaust. Balanced and blue printed, Main cap girdle.

Any ideas if it would be worth it?

331-2.jpg

331-1.jpg

What size is it? Looks like a windsor block, so 302/351. Is it stroked? Any pictures with the pan off? Look at CHP's website and see what a short block goes for and compare. Figure the guy is gonna lose money on the deal, how much is still to be determined. Very few people are lucky enough to break even in a situation like this.

How long has it sat, uncovered the whole time? Any signs of surface rust anywhere?

It doesn't appear to be a roller block/motor, but otherwise it looks good for the money. Can you pull the pan/inspect before buying? I'd like to pull the pan and then a main cap to check to see if the crank was fresh.

It's difficult to tell from the one picture.... are the cylinder walls still showing a fresh cross-hatch?

But isn't that a roller lifter retainer (spider tray?) in the valley?

That's what I thought when I first looked at the picture, but it doesn't look quite right after I've stared at the picture longer.... where is the retainer for the #8 cylinder? Just a bad picture angle? It sure does look like a spider, I can't see what else it would be for....

I'm sure I can inspect a little further, plan on it in the next day or two......

this is what I know of the engine...

331 stroker short block from CHP High Performance, its a remanufatured 302 roller block and Probe Industries rotating assembly balanced and blue printed with paper work to prove it. installed are main cap girdle and Trickflow stage 1 camshaft .499 intake lift / .510 exhaust lift. this is a new kit never been turned over, was purchased for a project that i don't have anymore. cost about $2500 new.

internals are forged made by Probe Industies, pistons are flat top with valve relieves. it is 10 to 1 compression depending on your cylinder heads maybe higher or lower.

so essentially a forged 331 sortblock, with oil pan (don't need it) water pump, and cam shaft. For cheaper than just a forged 331 rotating assembly.

Which BTW, how long can an engine sit like that? What's the best way to store it?

Which BTW, how long can an engine sit like that?

Squirt some oil on the cylinder walls and slide a large hefty bag over the whole short block and it can sit like that for years without any other attention.

What's the best way to store it?

Indoors. A garage woould be okay, but somewhere less humid would be ideal.... like the living room (joking).

Well considering I got the other half to loosen the strings of the mystical mustang fund, don't think I can talk her into the living room, though.........................she did just buy a new purse....

i tried for months to get my motor in the living room, she wasnt having it. I thought it would be more interesting then the tv!

0208091625.jpg

Hmmmm...motor or wife, motor or wife..... :conf (thank god she doesn't follow me on any boards)

Well just been informed if I get the motor, she gets an amazing anniversary weekend next month. Hmmm....how'd she know I bought the car in september???? Grrrrr....

Picked it up last night. 1200.00.

Has all the paperwork, and never been fired. CHP 331 street fighter. Not completely forged as they guy said, but forged pistons, cast crank etc. Trickflow Stage 1 cam. HV Oil pump, HV water pump, HV fuel pump. Oil Pan, Double roller timing chain, timing chain cover already setup to go in a early mustang. Harmonic Balancer, Flywheel.

Pretty much the engine was setup and ready to be dropped into a car, minus the heads. Still see the crosshatch on the cylinders.

great deal!

I never got a whole motor in the living room but I have tons of parts stored in the family room in the basement and in a spare bed room down stairs. My wife hardley ever goes down there... :tigg

Back