• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What's a good fuel filter?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to get a 3/8" barbed end filter. Any suggestions? It will be from pump to carb.....Hardline up towards dizzy, small rubber hose, filter, small rubber hose then fuel rail.

Also what is with the filtering numbers such as 40 microns vs 10 microns, etc?

10 microns is finer (filters better) than 40 microns. I don't know if Wix still makes a generic filter like that, but if they do, that's what I'd get.

I like the clear glass ones too. Many people tell me I am a fire waiting to happen.

All I can say is I have been using them for 31 years now and never even a leak!

The key is making sure everything is tight and making sure your glass isn't in a spot to hit anything and break! You have to be careful with this positioning thing. not to scare you, but you must think about where you want to position it. Then put it in.

I had an accident at about 50 miles an hour and hit the front of my Mustang a 66 at the time. I hit a Datsun B210 on the left rear with the middle of my grille. The Datsun was turning left in front of me and no blinker. I as a dumb kid went around him and he turned! They told the cops, that they were sorry that it was all their fault. Hehehe....It was all my fault, speeding and other stuff. Anyway, it had a glass filter. Not so much as a leak! I had a tunnel ram on it with a double pumper and had the filter positioned so it would not hit anything and it didn't. that same filter was on the car after I fixed the car and sold it.

Mel

My post was in jest. I used to have one and it didn't filter worth a crap. I would find all kinds of stuff in the bottom bowls of my Eddy carb. The filter was installed correctly, I just don't think the micron filtration size is small enough on these. My opinion though, I'm sure you and others have had great luck with them.

I agree to get one with a replaceable paper or just get a random one off the wall at the local parts store. I have the random cylindrical metal case one from Autozone and my fuel bowls are clean as a whistle. I think it was like $5 or so for mine.

Wix makes generic barbed fuel filters with a better micron count than the replaceable-element glass style. That's what I run.

Gents,
Wix makes a 20 micron inline filter with the required 3/8" barbed ends. Their pn 33033 which is NAPA's pn 3033, for a whopping $5.99.

Sounds good to me.

I have the Holley Street Avenger 670cfm carb that comes with fuel filter built-in. I haven't figured out where they are yet. Shop said I don't need another in-line filter.

Back