• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What's the least amount of equipment to get by with spraying epoxy

Unless you get a lot of water out of your compressor, then I wouldn't bother. I never use them because they restrict the air flow.

"67 Fastback" said:
Any need for any filters at the gun?
Bill
"mustangstofear" said:
Unless you get a lot of water out of your compressor, then I wouldn't bother. I never use them because they restrict the air flow.

Depends on how high the humidity is on that particular day.
Drain the compressors tank on a regular base .See below the tank for a valve.

I used that and a 2nd cheaper unit closer to the car since my first reduction is at the compressor and my hose is overly long, I need to set the pressure higher on the first and then get the fine tune at the local valve. I also connect one of those small filters that has the blue beads in it, when the beads turn pink it is thrown away because the desiccant is no longer any good.

I used the cheap $15 gun and it sprayed epoxy really well.

bill,

that harbor freight filter/regulator will work fine, but you will probably have to take it apart & rebuild it out of the box to fix the leaks in the fittings. i bought a bunch of those a couple months back when they changed the part number & put the ones with the old number on closeout for $8 each. one thing to think about when deciding to add a small "insurance' filter at the gun is it takes approx 50 ft for the warm air coming out of the compressor to cool enough for condensation to form. in the old shop, the compressor was inside close to the paint room, so i had a few sticks of pipe that looped up & down the wall that totalled 50 ft with a water trap at the end. this fed into a filter regulator like the one you linked to that pretty much caught everything. if your setup requires that you mount the filter/reg close to the compressor & will be running a 50 ft or less airhose, you may want to run one of the small filters that attach to the gun. i would go ahead & shoot primer first before worrying about the small filter & see what you get. the primer will be sanded anyway so wont cause any disasters unless you start getting alot of water coming thru.

The more pipe you run the better, I have the inlet on one side of the garage & the outlet on the other side. I also run 2 filters, one like you have listed above & one tat holds a cartridge that is about the size of a role of TP.:

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/motorgu ... guard.html

Layout your pipe similar to this so any moisture bypasses the filters due to gravity. Remember the moisture is is attracted to heat. if you keep the lines cool gravity will pull the moisture down. I also like to have the "T" pointing up, any moisture running down the main trunk & bypassing my outlet.:

http://www.ch601.org/tools/Neil/pipe-layout-1.pdf

Mike

Back