• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

where to get power under the hood?

Im currently going to be putting my battery in the trunk of my 69 mach1 and was going to use a terminal block I found from a company but they no longer sell them. What should I do to get some power for running accessories like relays and suck without running multible wires from the trunk? I was also gonna put one under the dash for power for gauges and such.

Yea Pete, that was me that posted that but you can no longer buy those seperately from them. I cant find another nice one like that.

Rather than a junction block, I was considering just adding a fuse block underhood. Here is a cheap example, but something similar can also be found at your local auto parts store:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30002/?rtype=10

You can't attach a new component as easily to the fuse block as you can a junction block, but then you don't have a bunch of inline fuses as you would with using a junction block.

that same terminal block was used in '60s chevy trucks and 70's corvettes. I bought mine from LMC truck - MAD was out of them, with a few weeks waiting time.

Only problem is Im gonna be runnin 1/0 cable from my pos battery term to the solenoid so I guess I could just run a 4 gauge wire from the solenoid to the blocks input right? Would 8 gauge outputs be good for headlight and fan realys or should I go 4 gauge?

"panteramatt" said:
Only problem is Im gonna be runnin 1/0 cable from my pos battery term to the solenoid so I guess I could just run a 4 gauge wire from the solenoid to the blocks input right? Would 8 gauge outputs be good for headlight and fan realys or should I go 4 gauge?
Yes, you can run the main power lead up off the starter solenoid (main feed). 8 gauge is more than ample to handle the loads for the light and fan circuits.

Stereo stuff is not made to handle the amperage draw nor environmental conditions under your hood.

"panteramatt" said:

I run my headlights off 12 ga, and the fans off 2 10 ga circuits. None of these loops has more than .5 volt loss - good for auto wiring. 8 ga will work, but is overkill IMO.

Here's an example of a fairly "clean" installation that I did on my son's car. Notice that I used a fused panel instead of a post. This was an in-progress photo, but will give you an idea of the end result. With the battery relocated to the trunk, the old battery spot on the inner fender is a great place for this.

000_0305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back