• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Where to hook up aftermarket gauge lights?

tarafied1

I recently (yesterday) installed a oil temperature gauge for my transmission. I mounted it under the heater controls. Where is a good source for the instrument lights to tap into? I was going to try and find the shifter light lead because it's on when the key is on...
Thanks

This is a pic of the gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405115054.853744.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405115054.853744.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 36
On a 1968, use the ACC three prong plug near the fusebox for power. On a 67, there is no good place.

Or are you looking for the dash lamp outlet? On both a 67 and 68, there is a three prong plug with blue/red wires.

"Midlife" said:
On a 1968, use the ACC three prong plug near the fusebox for power. On a 67, there is no good place.

Or are you looking for the dash lamp outlet? On both a 67 and 68, there is a three prong plug with blue/red wires.
yes, I just want to light up the gauge at night... it's a 67
is this three prong plug with blue/red just hanging under the dash somewhere or is it being used?

Why not just splice into one of the existing gauge lights in the dash? At least with that you'll be able to take advantage of the dimmer. It would probably require removing the gauge pod or maybe there is enough slack to work off of the headlight switch bulkhead...

"tarafied1" said:
"stangg" said:
Why not just splice into one of the existing gauge lights in the dash?
that is not a bad idea
Yes, that is a bad idea. The existing gauge detaches from the main harness through a connector. If you want to remove the dash cluster for whatever reason, you'll still be attached to this gizmo via the splice.

The existing three prong dash lamp cluster connector (red, typically) is rarely used and is just sitting there and is already part of the main harness. On a 67, it is located near where the ignition switch breaks out of the main harness.

Now if this car has aftermarket wiring, all of my comments go out the window of course.

thanks Mid! no aftermarket wiring in this car... I will look for this connector. Thanks for the advice

Found it. Thanks Mid!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405183298.189022.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405183298.189022.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 25
"Midlife" said:
"tarafied1" said:
"stangg" said:
Why not just splice into one of the existing gauge lights in the dash?
that is not a bad idea
Yes, that is a bad idea. The existing gauge detaches from the main harness through a connector. If you want to remove the dash cluster for whatever reason, you'll still be attached to this gizmo via the splice.

The existing three prong dash lamp cluster connector (red, typically) is rarely used and is just sitting there and is already part of the main harness. On a 67, it is located near where the ignition switch breaks out of the main harness.

Now if this car has aftermarket wiring, all of my comments go out the window of course.

I guess I read your original reply too fast... I had thought the red / blue plug was simply 12v accessory power. After re reading your original post I see how it makes perfect sense to use that.

Back