• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

where'd you get your springs?

blue65coupe

Alright guys. Asked before but am leaning heavily on replacing the stock (sagging) 4 leaf with 5 leaf springs. My main reason for thinking 5 is to help eliminate the "dip tire rub" from the fenders. I can stand a little lift in the back compared to now but want it to remain fairly straight. Question now is, all my searches are showing 5 leaf springs from Grab a Trak at double the cost of standard 4 leaf so where am I not looking? Thanks.

yes, I found some on another site for a little less. I'm just having a hard time deciding if stock 4 leaves will eliminate the problem. It's prob. gonna put about an inch raise but I really want to eliminate the rub and cutting/rolling lips is not an option right now. I don't think 5s will do anymore than raise it another 1/4 of an inch and considerably help with the rub. Any thoughts?

This is what it took to not have the same dip/rub you are describing. No problem even with grandkids in back seat. Of course, I desired the racked look also even though some do not care for it. Lovin the old school.....even the lumpy cam.
Silver66001jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My main reason for thinking 5 is to help eliminate the "dip tire rub" from the fenders.

Are your rear tires larger than they should be? You shouldn't experience any rear tire rub issues using 4 leaf spring packs when you have properly fitting tires/wheels. If you have ill-fitting (larger) tires/wheels and need to compensate, the 5 leaf spring packs look like they'll keep the body off of any size tire/wheel combo.

225s. Larger than "stock". New 4s may do it, I just hate to spend the money and be wrong. That's never happened before...........um yeah.

I have the 5 leaf standard eye Grab-A-Track springs but you can get reverse eye which will be lower but still "stiffer" than stock 4 leaf...
72_13_04_09_5_55_53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what size are your rear wheels? That looks perfect.

Pete, your car looks "right", mine wouldn't. What all do you have back there, can't remember.

Tad, I have 18 yr old paint. I know what they say but will bet dollars to the penny that even heating will not prevent paint cracking. Just not up to taking that chance.

"blue65coupe" said:
what size are your rear wheels? That looks perfect.
AR Torq Thrust II's 17x8 with 4.75" BS and 245/45 ZR 17 Firehawk tires. They have section width 9.6" DIA is 25.7" and tread width 8.6" I'm planning to get 17x9.5" since I have at least 2" more room on the back side.

I'm running M-P 4 1/2 mid eye springs with 15x7 3 3/4" BS, TTD's and Goodyear Bluestreak 6.00 x 15"s which are about a 1/4" wider then a 225. No rubbing and I have not rolled the back fenders. You can see pics at my CarDomain site.

Thanks Mark. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Tarafied (hate to use his first name for fear of confusion) helped me a lot with his measurements (thanks!) and was figuring on 5 leaf mid-eyes. Between his info and yours, decision is made.

Back