• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"while i'm at it'...

SELLERSRODSHOP

i realized this evening that the "while i'm at it's" are really kicking me in the can. i figured this out tonight while i was contemplating pulling the motor to paint the engine compartment. if i pull the motor, steering linkage & wiring harness, the car will be bare from the doors/firewall forward.

all because i didn't want to put brake fluid in the old master cyl. last week. i figured, why put fluid in & have to deal with the mess draining it when i put the discs on? heck, i'll go ahead & put the brakes on it now, then it started....

Don't forget...

...filling in all the un-needed holes in the firewall and inner fenders, then grinding them all down nice and smooth.
...battery relocation to the trunk, if not already done
...front end rebuild
...heck, now's the time to put on all that great opentracker / Street or Track stuff while you're there
...might as well go to a coilover suspension
...and a fiberglass hood, if you don't already have one
...how about a new radiator system with the twin electric fans already mounted in them?
...and one of those nice metal pieces that fill the gap between the radiator support and the grille. It finishes the look
...don't forget to put in some high-power headlight relays
...might as well replace that tired old horn

Say, this "while-I'm-at-it" game is pretty fun! :yah

I started out a week ago fixing a bad connector at the regulator. Wound up in the dash making the ammeter work, decided to refurb the cluster while it was out. Now that I've done that I have to do the clock and the bezel on the other side so it's coming out and going home with me today. While I'm doing that I might as well do the ac vents and other dash trim to match the stuff I've already done.

"Sacbill" said:
Don't forget...

...filling in all the un-needed holes in the firewall and inner fenders, then grinding them all down nice and smooth.
...battery relocation to the trunk, if not already done
...front end rebuild
...heck, now's the time to put on all that great opentracker / Street or Track stuff while you're there
...might as well go to a coilover suspension
...and a fiberglass hood, if you don't already have one
...how about a new radiator system with the twin electric fans already mounted in them?
...and one of those nice metal pieces that fill the gap between the radiator support and the grille. It finishes the look
...don't forget to put in some high-power headlight relays
...might as well replace that tired old horn

Say, this "while-I'm-at-it" game is pretty fun! :yah

well, the front end rebuild with opentracker stuff is why the front end is apart. roller perches, new upper & lower arms, swaybar upgrade etc.

the new high capacity aluminum radiator was done right before the fire sidetracked everything, so that is checked off the list.

i actually made the patterns last week for the panels to fill the gap between the core support/grille, so thats almost checked off.

i hate fiberglass, so the hood is out,lol.

For inspiration to stop 'while I'm at its' try watching the Brit show Wheeler Dealers. They never do any. Just fix the problem and put the old rusted part back on. :shrug

"KBMWRS" said:
For inspiration to stop 'while I'm at its' try watching the Brit show Wheeler Dealers. They never do any. Just fix the problem and put the old rusted part back on. :shrug
I can't do that, even on my beater cars. I would always clean and paint stuff while I had something apart to fix. I tink that's why the drag car has made no progress. I want to do too much so I just wait until I can do it all... :rant

after a while the "while I'm at it" will change to "you've gone this far"

I'm at the "you've gone this far stage" very expensive

well, today i found myself tinkering around & before i knew it, the rad was drained & out, the power sterring pump disconnected from the engine, the exhaust unhooked & the trans/starter/torque converter unhooked. in other words, i'm two motor mount bolts & a piece of chain away from the engine being out....

swapped the pedal assy yesterday & fitted the new booster/master & the slave master.
photo12-1.jpg

photo14.jpg

also finished my graft on the battery apron
photo13-1.jpg

new master is tight, REALLY tight, but it fit. i'm thinking of cutting & reversing a section in the tower to give a little extra clearance
photo15.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo17.jpg

i figure i'll pull the engine, finish up my tower braces, clean & paint the front section then start putting things back. thinking of dropping my power steering setup as a whole assy, degreasing & cleaning it up "while i'm at it" ....

Last edited by a moderator:
My cluster project has progressed completely across the dash and is now headed through the radio down the console. $50 is now multiplied 6 fold.

"Sluggo" said:
My cluster project has progressed completely across the dash and is now headed through the radio down the console. $50 is now multiplied 6 fold.

Yeah, did the sharpie trick on mine yesterday... also have your parts ready to go. will probably have a shipping day towards the end of the week. had a guy in boston send me two 6v ignition coils to paint, so as soon as those have cured well enough to pack, i'll get the stuff out.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
Yeah, did the sharpie trick on mine yesterday... also have your parts ready to go. will probably have a shipping day towards the end of the week. had a guy in boston send me two 6v ignition coils to paint, so as soon as those have cured well enough to pack, i'll get the stuff out.

Cool. Did you see my update about the silver leafing pen? It does a ot nicer job and is about as close as you're gonna get to chrome without chroming it.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it together and outside where I can get some decent light.

"Fast68back" said:
You should ditch that MC and pick up a grabber maverick MC, helluva lot shorter and looks closer to stock

yeah, got to looking today & i wont be able to use that one anyways. it has a 1 1/16" bore size, & i don't think i'll have the proper line pressures for the discs i'll be running front /rear. not sure if that mav m/c has enough volume for my discs in the rear. i did alot of research/math on the setup before the fire & had a bunch of them marked off the list for various reasons...

Back