• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

While we are at it....

AzPete

.....Started with no brake lights and running warm at stop lights. Now, this is a local club members 64.5 Vert in pretty good condition. It has a '67 289 and C4. I don't mind helping/teaching him what to do. After fixing the brake lights, turn signals (new switch), interior lights, and glove box light, (car has been PO fitted with a '65 dash harness only) we looked under the hood. Car has 160 thermostat of unknown age so we put in a new 180. Start the car and temp climbs right past 200+. Looking things over a bit closer and Hmmmm.....fan has a good bit of wobble. Ok, need a water pump. Plan for the next Fri. We also attempt to adjust the Lokar kick down cable and found the throttle linkage not bolted to the fire wall on the drivers side. No wonder there is no passing gear. Fixed that and now it runs a LOT better. This is today (the next Fri).
0515091504-12.jpg

Order/received pump and the owner says can we fix the leak at the back of the intake. No problem. Pulled the water pump and he wants to fix the front main that is leaking. OK. Find a bad harmonic balancer. Rubber is shot and a good grove at the seal position. Pull the timing chain cover and sure enough, the chain has a bit of slop. Might as well replace it. Balancer and timing set on order, finished the intake and left the rest for the next Fri which will be the third Fri. I have been under the hood/dash/car of this 64.5. He asked what would be the next thing that might be bad and I told him I was not going into engine rebuild as it runs strong. I am trying top let this fellow do most of the work buuuuuttttttttt sometimes it is hard. Mechanical ability is slowly improving but the ability to work a wrench is hard to teach. He is a good guy and wants to learn all he can. Oh, and the car is now at his parents house 35 miles away due to work space. It was a cool cruise up there in his Vert.

Midlife, quit laughing.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Tow it over to the garagemahal and put it up on the rack. May as well replace the oil pump and pan gasket, while your at it, check the rear main..... Mids got beers....

"Fast68back" said:
Tow it over to the garagemahal and put it up on the rack. May as well replace the oil pump and pan gasket, while your at it, check the rear main..... Mids got beers....

Heck no....I reserve that for my next project or two. New upper and lower control arms just left Cali. today and then maybe A/C in a month or so. I over extend my stay there on a regular basis. lol

That's it....no more Black Wattle for you.

Really tho, it is not to bad and since I have nothing going on right now, it is kind of nice to work on someone else's car.

Finally....got this car on the road today. After getting it all back together, we came across a problem with the starter staying engaged. Totally unrelated to our work at hand. Had to put all on hold until that was sorted out. Tried two solenoids, checked the switch as good, starter good. Disconnect starter and solenoid would not release until battery disconnected.

Today, I checked power at the red/blue wire on the rear, small post of the solenoid. Hmmmmm, had 12 volts in start, 5-6 volts in run, 0 in off. I found that the owner had some tranny work done and the on idiot doing the work wired in a neutral safety switch. To do this, he cut the red/blue wire to the solenoid and ran these ends to the switch. When I moved this connection, the voltage came and went from the plug at the solenoid. I discovered the old twist and tape connections. I fixed those properly and never did find how the voltage from the resistor wire was getting crossed to that wire. All I know now is that it works great and I am done with it.....New coolant and oil and we are out of there.

Owner cannot believe how quiet the car runs after a new timing chain set and a new water pump (bearing gone in old one)........

This is the type car that if you move something to much, it will create problems. The owner does not understand the concept of if you own an old car, you either must know how to work on it or be financially stable enough to pay to get it done. Of course, he wants to learn based on his $$$$$ position. ughhhhhhh

Back