• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whirring noise from Trans tunnel

bebop390

The 800+ mile road trip to the Knotts show was a partial success - my brother's Boss302 had a small fire and had to be towed home, so we hopped in my car and it did great the whole way.
There's one thing that's been happening for a while though...after the car is nice and warm, right around 2300 rpm, I hear a whirring / whistling noise coming from the transmission tunnel. I had always guessed it was vibration from the shifter linkage (I can feel it in the stick), or maybe the clutch fork / bearing. Doesn't sound like inside the transmission - doesn't sound like something immersed in gear oil. Any ideas?

Mike - good to meet you down there; sorry I missed the rest of you at the Photo shoot.

-Nick G

Does the noise change with speed? Does it do it in other gears? Does it change pitch when you lightly accelerate or let your foot off the throttle?

Yep - noise changes with speed, and changes pitch slightly when on-off throttle. Always observed in 4th gear, but I can't recall trying it in 3rd. As I mentioned, this has been there for awhile - if it were new this weekend, I'd have tried to investigate more thoroughly - different gears, etc. Thanks!

@ Craig - might we strike a deal? Maybe I can get your car nice and hot and then try to reproduce it there? :pbj

-Nick

3.25 rear has about 8K miles on it. Auburn Diff. Got noisy about 1K miles after rebuild, really noisy. At rebuild time, Rearend shop guy had said it might take two bottles of modifier - so I added another and noise went away, and has been fine since.
The noise the gears made was very unlike the whirring noise from the tunnel.
And, it's a stock driveshaft with new-ish U-Joints (10K miles).

Aw, missed this! Would have been a nice excursion. Catch you next time. Maybe it won't be 90+ degrees outside then...but then, that's best for reproducing the problem...

As you can see I was wearing a sweatshirt yeaterday at the coast. When we past Alices on the way back, off came the sweatshirt.
paga3y4y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back