• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who would have thought.....

AzPete

Area Car Dealers Waiting for Government "Clunker" Money Save Email Print
Posted: 6:19 PM Aug 5, 2009
Last Updated: 6:19 PM Aug 5, 2009
Reporter: Matt de Nesnera
Email Address: matthew.denesnera@wjhg.com
0 comments

A | A | A

As the U.S. Senate debates another $2 billion for the "Cash for Clunkers" program, local car dealers are reporting more problems. Under the federal program, the trade-in vehicles are supposed to be destroyed.

The rules require dealers to destroy the clunker by pouring sodium silicate, or "liquid glass," into the engine, causing it to freeze up. That in itself has been emotionally difficult for local car dealers. George Gainer, owner of Bay Lincoln-Mercury-Dodge says, "It has been a very sad occasion to euthanize these vehicles."

Gainer says those cars could be donated to the community, helping local schools or fire departments. But right now, most dealers are not destroying the vehicles. Gainer says, "We won't be blowing up any cars till we see that cash because in God we trust, but we don't particularly trust the federal government."

Under the "Cash for Clunkers" program, dealers are giving buyers up to $4,500 in discounts for their old gas guzzler. That can be used towards the purchase of a new, more fuel-efficient car. The government is then supposed to reimburse the dealer for that rebate. So far, that hasn't happened; the dealers are keeping the clunkers as insurance.

J.R. Ezzell, the business manager at Bill Byrd Kia, says, "If, for some reason, the dealer doesn't get paid, then we'll have to just wholesale the cars to an auction like we normally would."

As for the program itself, it has meant a boost in local car sales. Gainer says there's still a market for SUV's and pickup trucks. Others say fuel efficient vehicles have been flying off the lot. Jimmy Darnell, general sales manager at Cook-Whitehead Ford, says, "It's been great. We're getting in people we haven't seen in 15 years."

Jennifer Sikes recently traded in a 1997 Ford Expedition for a special edition 2010 Kia Soul. The Expedition got 12 miles to the gallon; Sikes says her new car gets about 30: "I filled up Friday and I haven't had to fill up again since." Despite the extra business, some dealers wonder if it's really worth the trouble. Gainer says, "This has been a nightmare for the dealers."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the Senate would act on the additional $2 billion for the "Cash for Clunkers" program before the summer recess.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/52552512.html

I absolutely LOVE how many Kias, Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas are being sold. Since this was another "bailout" pretty much, it's funny as hell how it's "backfiring". Hell yes keep the cars. On another note, NC income taxes are increasing 2% for the years '09 and '10. Great. And....my property taxes went up. Now, according to what's been taking place, shouldn't my taxes have went down? I mean, the "value" of my house has dropped....what gives? Sales tax is also increasing. I'm stopping now. My eyes are bleeding.

One thing I've learned after lo these many years is that when times are good the Gov wants more money and when times go bad, they REALLY want your money :mid

When you make a lot of coin, they all have their hands out cause that's not right for you to keep it. When you don't make much, hence not much to the I(MF)RS, then they hit you with every other tax on things you can't do squat about.

Just remember, politicians (all of them) know what's better for you than you do

&%@#$!*(%$#@*^$%$!@#$%^&*(!@#$%^&**&^%$#@#$%$#%^&*&^%$#@

"blue65coupe" said:
I absolutely LOVE how many Kias, Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas are being sold. Since this was another "bailout" pretty much, it's funny as hell how it's "backfiring". Hell yes keep the cars. On another note, NC income taxes are increasing 2% for the years '09 and '10. Great. And....my property taxes went up. Now, according to what's been taking place, shouldn't my taxes have went down? I mean, the "value" of my house has dropped....what gives? Sales tax is also increasing. I'm stopping now. My eyes are bleeding.
Amen! Then you get the clown saying "well my hia-n-dri was built in america...I wanted to buy an american car. BS? The profit still goes to Korea numb nuts, thanks for selling us out! :expl

Everyone complains about the profits for foreign makes goes overseas. Profits are either plowed back into the company for R&D, but the majority of the profits are distributed to the share-holders via stocks. There's nothing to prevent American citizens from procuring stock in Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, etc. The same goes for what used to be the big 3: foreign nationals can buy stock in Ford, GM, Chrysler (well, they could until Chrysler was sold to MB, then to the Cerebus Group, a private concern). Profits are useless if they are hoarded in the country and not used somehow.

"Midlife" said:
Everyone complains about the profits for foreign makes goes overseas. Profits are either plowed back into the company for R&D, but the majority of the profits are distributed to the share-holders via stocks. There's nothing to prevent American citizens from procuring stock in Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, etc. The same goes for what used to be the big 3: foreign nationals can buy stock in Ford, GM, Chrysler (well, they could until Chrysler was sold to MB, then to the Cerebus Group, a private concern). Profits are useless if they are hoarded in the country and not used somehow.
Right on, and I don't dispute that, but there HAS to be some money going back to the co. itself as straight $$, and besides, us financing their R&D is us paying for their efforts to surpass us. At the very least, if we weren't paying for their R&D efforts to kick our arses, we'd have one more good thing going for the big 3, and as arsed up as they are, they could use it.

Considering that they blew through the first billion, and now tacked on an extra 2 billion more, it still won't work. It's another artificially created bubble that will burst. What's really irritating, is that a little more than 100 million when to the actual cars, the rest is for administrative, personnel, and resources just to cover this dumbass program. This is you gov't at work.

Back