• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Why the hell is wrong with me and why can't I find TDC?

dodgestang

So I FINALLY have a new dizzy to use in the 68.

But now I must be forgetting something easy/stupid.

1. Pull the number 1 plug.
2. Put finger over hole.
3. Crank engine with remote starter
4. When finger is blown away from hole STOP
5. Stab dizzy with rotor pointed where you want it
6. Wire cap so #1 aligned with where you pointed rotor (firing order: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8)

No fire.
I have confirmed fuel
I have confirmed spark
I have been wiggling dizzy around in about a 20 degree arc and get nothing

Did I mess up with the when finger is blown away from hole step?

You need to confirm TDC with either the timing pointer and damper or the position of the valves. They should all line up if correct.

The piston is at the top of the stroke TWICE, not once. Once for TDC (ignition) and another at the top of the exhaust stroke. You may be 180 off. Pop off the pass valve cover and watch the valves, I turn the crank with a socket/ratchet as it's easier to control than a remote starter.

"SAC69" said:
The piston is at the top of the stroke TWICE, not once. Once for TDC (ignition) and another at the top of the exhaust stroke. You may be 180 off. Pop off the pass valve cover and watch the valves, I turn the crank with a socket/ratchet as it's easier to control than a remote starter.

He's right :thu :thu

You were on the right track till #4.
If you wait till your finger is blown out of hole before you stop, You've gone past TDC.
Recrank eng and bump it more as the pressure builds up your reaching tdc.
VERIFY that the bal is at 0 and install the dist.
Then run the plugwires according to firing order.

"Mach1Rider" said:
You were on the right track till #4.
If you wait till your finger is blown out of hole before you stop, You've gone past TDC.
Recrank eng and bump it more as the pressure builds up your reaching tdc.
VERIFY that the bal is at 0 and install the dist.
Then run the plugwires according to firing order.

That's how I do it too. The balancer has to be set on -0- for it to be at TDC. I feel for you Nick, been there done that several times.

YES! I have once again true to form snatched defeat from the jaws of certain victory....I got the 68 mustang running again today. Set the timing by RPM for the time being so it idles at 800 in neutral....shut the hood to take it for a test drive and get some gas....and the hood made a funny noise stopped at 3/4 closed and is immovable in either direction now. :( The good news is though the car runs fantastic with the stock springs in the dizzy.

And for the record...screw 'process'.

Stab dizzy, wire cap, crank and twist.
Pull dizzy move 90 degrees, crank, twist, sputter.
Pull dizzy move 40 degrees, crank, vroom

Took me less time than trying to do it all scientifical like :sarc

Further, less profane laced inspection has revealed a small screwdriver jammed in the mechanism....at least now I know where it went.....back to my profane tirade now.

"dodgestang" said:
Further, less profane laced inspection has revealed a small screwdriver jammed in the mechanism....at least now I know where it went.....back to my profane tirade now.

The Curse endures.

Success.....only cost me a screwdriver. Finally I can report that 1 mustang is back, buttoned up, and completely road worthy.

Gonna drive it tomorrow to work (light traffic) in the 95 degree heat. Should be fun.

Congratulations Nick !

A nice big celebratory smokey burnout on the way to work is in order. Always makes me feel better :steer

"dodgestang" said:

LMAO....

Sorry Nick, but that's funny sh*t.

Serendipity

All this hassle with the dizzy gear........and now after 140 or so miles....my pinging issue appears to be gone.

:thu

"dodgestang" said:
Serendipity

All this hassle with the dizzy gear........and now after 140 or so miles....my pinging issue appears to be gone.

:thu
Let me call Maria...I'm sure she'll be more than happy to ping on you about something or another...

Back