• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Why two different design springs ?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Here are what seem to be two different designed drum automatic adjuster springs. The one on the bottom seems to be more available or used, but I hate the design of the right side end, the part that feeds into the brake shoe. I'm afraid it will somehow pop out of the shoe's hole. The top one is much easier to install and when in place looks much cleaner with no possible way to
accidently disengage.

Does anyone know why there are two different designs?

4_01_11_09_10_05_07.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they are of different manufactures. Possibly a change over time period at Ford from one contract to another or an aftermarket replacement. I have seen both but not on the same car.

Nah, these two were not on the same car. I picked up 2 of the upper ones yesterday at a local Mustang Shop. Much better design. Going to switch both Red and Shag over to that design.

Actually once I opened up the drums on Red, it's retarded designed springs were in much better condition than what I was using on Shag. So I relocated its springs and re-used them. Shag has the better design. Butt, someday if I find two more of the better design, I'll put them in Red.

I got the upper spring designs from Napa (where's Pat when he's given a kudo?) when I replaced everything on the backside of Midlife's brake system.

Back