• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Will clear stick to polished aluminum"

A

Anonymous

Finished up on the custom air box today, now I'd like to keep the finish sharp and protect it from oxidation. I haven't tried it on polished aluminum but I was wondering if anyone has used clear on polished aluminum?

In general, any paint will not stick to a polished surface; it needs a mechanical tooth to adhere to the surface. Use of a scotch-brite pad (e.g. 150-350 grit) should be enough to produce teeth for paint. Obviously, you'll need to apply wax and grease remover to the material just before applying the paint.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Finished up on the custom air box today, now I'd like to keep the finish sharp and protect it from oxidation. I haven't tried it on polished aluminum but I was wondering if anyone has used clear on polished aluminum?

Yes it will.

For about five minutes. :yah

Don't they use powdercoat for this purpose in some applications?

"67 evil eleanor" said:

what about that Zoop Seal stuff (now it's called Shine Seal I think)? I haven't tried it personally but have been thinking about investing in some (it ain't cheap) for protecting some polished aluminum bits.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone had experience with using "Rain-X" on polished aluminum? In searching the net I ran across several threads where a lot of truckers were using this on their wheels and tanks once polished out. May give it a try and if it doesn't work I can always use it on the windshield. Here's a couple of photos of what I'm trying to seal.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 003.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 68
I tested a piece of aluminum with the clear, it was tough but I could scratch it off with my fingernail. That's a fail for sure. I am testing the "Rain-X" stuff and as of now I can say it leaves a barrier that prevents finger prints and such from sticking to it. Looks like it may work but I don't know how long it will last.

What about the Fukken Wax? :confu It looks like it might work pretty good as a cleaner/protector on polished aluminum. Of course Rain-X is cheaper and easier to get locally.

Not sure how the wax would work but I think I'm on to something with the "Rain-X".

"Kats66Pny" said:
What about the Fukken Wax? :confu It looks like it might work pretty good as a cleaner/protector on polished aluminum. Of course Rain-X is cheaper and easier to get locally.

they make a Fukken Wax? Isn't that used for something else?

Back